• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Watch Should I Get?

adam52rl

Reaction score
I am deciding between the IWC Portofino Automatic and a Zentih Men's Class Elite - also in the running is the Portofino Chrono. I would gladly entertain suggestions as well - my criteria are: Dressy, automatic movement (preferably in-house), and my budget is a hard $3000.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Portofino Auto
iw356305-1.jpg

Portofino Chrono
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...AIz9OsS6DMxdyA

Zenith Class Elite
01-1125-680-76-C490_FLA.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
first one.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a watch expert, so I'm going off of personal appeal. That being said, the darker cleaner dial appeals to me more than the "busy" and monochrome Zenith. To me, the Zenith resembles a cheaper looking Timex and is somewhat "plastic-y".

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the batons, numerals or hands were a contrast color, I think that would help it's case, but then again, it's entirely subjective. And the trapazoidal date window irks me.

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I'm not a watch expert, so I'm going off of personal appeal. That being said, the darker cleaner dial appeals to me more than the "busy" and monochrome Zenith. To me, the Zenith resembles a cheaper looking Timex and is somewhat "plastic-y".

+1 IWC definitely has a more refined look

cmacey

Reaction score
Although I like the second option, I will have to concede the first has a "cleaner" look. If the first had a white or silver face, it would be perfect!

mrjames

Reaction score
+1 IWC

Zenith are tacky and not very nice in the flesh actually

I highly recommend trying before buying, I went into the shop with a very specific idea of what I wanted, ended up nearly leaving with something totally different

Gwarg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmacey
Although I like the second option, I will have to conceed the first has a "cleaner" look. If the first had a white or silver face, it would be perfect!

+1

adam52rl

Reaction score
Wow not a lot of zenith love in here. A friend of mine has the same model (different year + manual wind) so I've had the opportunity to see it/try it on etc. It was my front runner but now I'm definately rethinking that. I'm going into Manhattan later this week to try on the IWCs before I make my final decision.
Anyone know anything about the movements?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got no beef with thw zenith, but go with the iwc hands down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics