• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which wash is the original color for 501's?

upstarter

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm about to buy a new pair of 501's and was wondering what the original color was? To me, it looked like the "dark stonewash" seemed very nice at Sears (I'm comparing this wash to the shade of blue seen in Roeztel's page on jeans which features a pair of 501's). Does anyone know the original wash/color (or what might be the "best" in their opinion?)?

The colors:

http://www.us.levi.com/lsco/levi/pro...=1161905101829

Thanks for your help in advance,

Upstarter

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's easy. The original 501 wash is raw, or no wash. In modern terminology, it's 501xx, or 501 stf (shrink to fit). IMO, it's still the best wash...or nonwash.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The original is the shrink-to-fit dry denim, but the version of that that they sell today won't end up looking like the "original" version did after some wear, because the fabric and dye and everything else is cheaper and crappier than it used to be. That said, the STF still turns out looking reasonably good IMO.

upstarter

Reaction score
So you're basically saying i need to buy Shrink to fit and that i can't buy "pre-shrunk" jeans? That's a bit of a bummer. Anyway around it?

Thanks,

Upstarter

EDIT: Any tips about sizing up for shrink to fit jeans?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any tips about sizing up for shrink to fit jeans?
I think Levi's will tell you to add an inch in the waist and two inches in the inseam for shrinkage.

acidpolice

Reaction score
the "rinsed" wash would be a preshrunk STF. basically. it has no fake fading anyways, its just a very dark blue.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure rinsed is the closest to preshrunk 501's.

Shrink-to-fit instructions say to size up 10%.

upstarter

Reaction score
recommendations on where to buy the STF jeans?

EDIT: Also, i was reading up on 501's, and everyone talks about how they "fade." How much do they fade exactly? I don't want a pair of jeans that's not going to keep their nice blue color after a year or two...

Thanks,

Upstarter

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I have a Levi's store right over in South Coast Plaza but I remember seeing them at Macy's or Nordstrom.

Brian SD

Reaction score
upstarter, the reality is that no denim is going to keep its color after a year or two. Though the guys on this board are more sensitive in general to this... I think my mom considers her jeans still blue when they're so white there's barely any blue on them.

The better, higher quality (and in turn, generally more expensive) the denim is, the longer it will keep its color.

Anyway, the original 501 is the non-wash, Shrink to fit denim. To be honest I barely noticed them shrinking at all, mostly just getting rid of the original starchy rigidness. If you want a comfortable fit, however, try them on until you get one that fit's comfortably snug around the waist, then size up ONE waist size (I think Levi's even recommends two waist sizes... definitely don't listen to them. STFs barely shrink at all anymore).

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JC Penney usually has cheap stf. There are still some Made in USA floating around on eBay. Like someone said before, add 1" to your waist and 2" to your inseam. If you don't want them to fade, then dry clean. You can minimize the fading by hand wash and hang dry. Start with these basic jeans first, then go for some high quality japanese repro. They'll stay blue much longer.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I would recommend these LVC's or a Japanese repo if you had the money. If you just want cheap ones then the stf is fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads