• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which vintage Japanese watch?

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like #4 is getting the most votes, the Marvel was I believe the most popular Seiko of the period and the movements are supposed to be very good. I'm sure parts and servicing won't be a problem. I really like #1 but I have no info about the quality of the citizens from that period.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
I like the Marvel. Too bad it's not the Hi-Beat Lord Marvel though. The others are just so-so.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
No 4 or 5. They have the cleanest look.

Also, that type of script font that the first three ones have is a pet hate of mine. It reminds me of LetraSet transfer letters, - anyone remember those?

It seems a lot of mid-range mid-century watches had that kind of script.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
I agree that #4 is nice, but my strongest instinctive response was to #5. it has charm.

dport86

Reaction score
Citizens do not have the same reputation at the high end that the Grand or King Seiko's do. And even in Asia, where they are widely sold and used, they still suffer a little from being in Seiko's shadow. There are many Seiko collectors, not many Citizen collectors. I know many more rabid Casio collectors, in fact, than Citizen collectors. Also easier to find parts.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
I like the Marvel. Too bad it's not the Hi-Beat Lord Marvel though. The others are just so-so.

#3 is a Lord Marvel.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It seems a lot of mid-range mid-century watches had that kind of script.
I know - I have an Omega with "Geneve" in a similar script - that might just bring me to sell it someday. I'm turning into a font freak these days.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know why there's so much love for #4. #3 looks better and doesn't need a new strap.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of my recently purchased 1961 King Seiko. It is in very good condition almost no scratches all of which are only visible using a loupe. There is a small stain in the centre of the face which is only barely visible with the naked eye. I also had the guy change out the strap it's now on a very nice plain reddish dark brown band. The watch actually looks better in real life than in the pics.

If any of you are interested in vintage Japanese watches then I highly recommend Sweetroad in Kawasaki. The guy is a qualified watch maker and very knowledgeable about Japanese watches in particular. Unfortunately nobody there can speak English.

KS1.jpg

KS2.jpg

KS3.jpg

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by watchcollector2454
good find!

Thanks.

The guy I got it from has some Grand Seikos of the same era in mint condition. Couldn't bring myself to drop that kind of cash though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads