• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which type of tie and which color should I choose for my tie?

Nicedressed

Reaction score
Hello, I need some advice here. I have brown shoes, black dress pants, brown belt, black dress jacket and a light blue shirt. I choose a light blue shirt, because that color makes me look more tan. As I do not have much of a tan. Which type of tie and which color should I choose for my tie? My hair is dark blonde and my eyes are hazel, if that has anything to say. My goal is to attract women on Tinder for long term relationships.

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello, I need some advice here. I have brown shoes, black dress pants, brown belt, black dress jacket and a light blue shirt. I choose a light blue shirt, because that color makes me look more tan. As I do not have much of a tan. Which type of tie and which color should I choose for my tie? My hair is dark blonde and my eyes are hazel, if that has anything to say. My goal is to attract women on Tinder for long term relationships.
Check Richard James, they have a nice selection; great quality, made in Italy

johnnymiz

Reaction score
unless your outfit totals over $1k, a $150 tie is a bit skewed (and youre gonna be really pissed when you drip something on it and ruin it)
go to macys... or amazon online.. and buy yourself a silk tommy hilfiger tie in maroon or a mid blue. dots or stripes.. maybe even a plaid... for like $35 .if your pants and jacket tend towards skinny, keep it between 2.5 and 3 inches in width. if theyre wide, between 2.75 and 3.25.

Nicedressed

Reaction score
unless your outfit totals over $1k, a $150 tie is a bit skewed (and youre gonna be really pissed when you drip something on it and ruin it)
go to macys... or amazon online.. and buy yourself a silk tommy hilfiger tie in maroon or a mid blue. dots or stripes.. maybe even a plaid... for like $35 .if your pants and jacket tend towards skinny, keep it between 2.5 and 3 inches in width. if theyre wide, between 2.75 and 3.25.
Thank you for the tips. I agree that a tie for $ 150 is too much since my outfit does not total over $ 1000.

johnnymiz

Reaction score

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another note: unless you're an undertaker I would suggest re-visting the black blazer/ black pants approach. And, for your intended purposes I have to ask: is your social life predominantly jacket & tie type of stuff? That's fine if it represents how you dress on most social occasions. But, if it's not, I would suggest an outfit more in line with how you dress in normal social situations.

Nicedressed

Reaction score
heres a perfect example that will go with your black pants and jacket, and your light blue shirt....
or, if you like blue,
Thank you,
heres a perfect example that will go with your black pants and jacket, and your light blue shirt....
or, if you like blue,
Thank you for the suggestions, so blue (not light blue) tie would look great with the rest of my outfit?

Last edited:

Nicedressed

Reaction score
Another note: unless you're an undertaker I would suggest re-visting the black blazer/ black pants approach. And, for your intended purposes I have to ask: is your social life predominantly jacket & tie type of stuff? That's fine if it represents how you dress on most social occasions. But, if it's not, I would suggest an outfit more in line with how you dress in normal social situations.
No, it is not. However, I have various pictures on my profile, and I am missing a picture with a suit on.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
yes, dark blue would be better so as not to try to be matchy with your shirt. best to contrast.
and honestly, what @johng70 was getting at was that a black suit isnt really very versatile or popular these days. and it is REALLY tough to match black separates and look good.
going forward, what you want to do is get a navy blue blazer/sport coat, some nice khaki chinos, and a pair of grey dress pants. that would look great with your blue shirt, shoes, and either tie if you want to be more formal, or without if you dont.. the jacket goes with either pants depending on the formality and the season....especially the chinos with a polo/golf shirt and the blazer in the summer. it is a classic look for a guy who doesnt need suits but wants to look sharp.

Nicedressed

Reaction score
yes, dark blue would be better so as not to try to be matchy with your shirt. best to contrast.
and honestly, what @johng70 was getting at was that a black suit isnt really very versatile or popular these days.
Thanks for the input, but I will still go for the black suit.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Of course. And youre gonna look great.
Those were just a few suggestions as you expand your wardrobe.
Good luck with the girls....hope you find a keeper

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads