• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which type of brand do you most like to wear

kalra2411

Reaction score
Give reasons for your choice; if you want to.

Any other groups, feel free to add, any disagrement with my grouping, also feel free.

Also do add brands to the groups if you want, as this may create a comprehensive list.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Don't forget, it is what you feel best wearing, and nothing to do with price, as results up untill now would suggest

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps the avant garde designers such as Vivienne Westwood, Dirk Schonberger, Matsuda, Yohji Yamamoto, etc. Not neccesarily a la Hollywood; more a la Tokyo.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer to wear quirky street brands mixed with designer pieces that fit my style. I hate the head-to-toe look. Favorite brand of the moment is Cloak NYC, but my go-to brand is Costume National.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Labelking,

Would you not say that they would come under cutting-edge? (Even if Tokyo and not Hollywood)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Labelking, Would you not say that they would come under cutting-edge? (Even if Tokyo and not Hollywood)
Yes, I suppose. Although Dior Homme isn't as avant garde compared to say Comme des Garcons or Vivienne Westwood. Even Jean Paul Gaultier, one of my favorite brands. Absolutely love his S/S '04 with the corset, and silk suit.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not comfortable with some of these categories.  Not all street brands are - Rogan and Built by Wendy, for example, are not cutting edge in the sense that Gaultier is.  And some (now) mainstream brands are still my favorite - Paper Denim and Cloth.  And I definitely don't see the sense in pushing boundaries for the sake of doing so.  Nevertheless, I don't think that Anne Demeulemeester should be banned from my wardrobe. As I mentioned in another thread, I am trying to build and maintain a capsule wardrobe in which many different designers are represented (from Prada to Costume National to Dirk Schonberger to Frankie B. to Nike to Paul Smith to one-off vintage pieces) which fit my style (lots of textured pieces, some unusually detailed accent pieces, lots of sneakers.)  It's sort of a pipe dream of mine to open a shop full of clothes that I would wear - full of comfortable, casual pieces that are nevertheless unafraid of being different and being noticed, but without a mission to do so.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Though I would agree LA, I must say that these are just broad groups, and not to be considered the final word in what they are, and certainly there could be some overlaps. Personaly I think Gaultier is plain weird, and not cutting-edge or avant-garde by any means (no offence Label King), but that is only my opinion.

To an extent, even Levis was cutting edge at a time.

That is why I said, if anyone wanted to suggest different groupings, they should feel free.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I would choose this category but high street fashion should be represented; Banana Republic, Club Monaco, J. Crew. I guess that most people wear this stuff.

I'd say my dress is more along the lines of LA Guy's response. For example today I'm wearing a vintage Wrangler cowboy shirt with Paper Denim jeans.

What I feel best wearing would obviously be a bespoke Saville Row suit though I haven't had this pleasure... yet.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Wow, why do you call it High-Street in the US aswell. In the UK every city, town and village has a High Street, and that is where such shops are, hence the name for stores like Marks & Spencer, Next, Gap, H&M, etc. But I have never seen a High Street in the US.
wink.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, why do you call it High-Street in the US aswell.
We actually don't. I don't know what we call it here, though I know that you British do call it high street, so I just said it as such.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gaultier is one of the few designers who actually cuts extremely well. Alexander McQueen being another. His women's couture lines are absolutely sublime. The men's I have to admit, certain items are a bit displeasing in aesthetics. But there are various collections that are stunningly designed.
00040.L.JPG
Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture S/S '00

MikeF

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to purchase a whackload of JPG recently at about 95% off retail and didn't buy a single piece. The stuff is way, way too out there for almost anyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads