1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Which type of brand do you most like to wear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kalra2411, May 24, 2004.

1. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior Member

Give reasons for your choice; if you want to.

Any other groups, feel free to add, any disagrement with my grouping, also feel free.

Also do add brands to the groups if you want, as this may create a comprehensive list.

2. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior Member

Don't forget, it is what you feel best wearing, and nothing to do with price, as results up untill now would suggest

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Perhaps the avant garde designers such as Vivienne Westwood, Dirk Schonberger, Matsuda, Yohji Yamamoto, etc. Not neccesarily a la Hollywood; more a la Tokyo.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I prefer to wear quirky street brands mixed with designer pieces that fit my style. I hate the head-to-toe look. Favorite brand of the moment is Cloak NYC, but my go-to brand is Costume National.

5. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior Member

Labelking,

Would you not say that they would come under cutting-edge? (Even if Tokyo and not Hollywood)

6. LabelKing

Yes, I suppose. Although Dior Homme isn't as avant garde compared to say Comme des Garcons or Vivienne Westwood. Even Jean Paul Gaultier, one of my favorite brands. Absolutely love his S/S '04 with the corset, and silk suit.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm not comfortable with some of these categories.  Not all street brands are - Rogan and Built by Wendy, for example, are not cutting edge in the sense that Gaultier is.  And some (now) mainstream brands are still my favorite - Paper Denim and Cloth.  And I definitely don't see the sense in pushing boundaries for the sake of doing so.  Nevertheless, I don't think that Anne Demeulemeester should be banned from my wardrobe. As I mentioned in another thread, I am trying to build and maintain a capsule wardrobe in which many different designers are represented (from Prada to Costume National to Dirk Schonberger to Frankie B. to Nike to Paul Smith to one-off vintage pieces) which fit my style (lots of textured pieces, some unusually detailed accent pieces, lots of sneakers.)  It's sort of a pipe dream of mine to open a shop full of clothes that I would wear - full of comfortable, casual pieces that are nevertheless unafraid of being different and being noticed, but without a mission to do so.

8. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior Member

What would you say Chenpascual is?

9. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior Member

Though I would agree LA, I must say that these are just broad groups, and not to be considered the final word in what they are, and certainly there could be some overlaps. Personaly I think Gaultier is plain weird, and not cutting-edge or avant-garde by any means (no offence Label King), but that is only my opinion.

To an extent, even Levis was cutting edge at a time.

That is why I said, if anyone wanted to suggest different groupings, they should feel free.

10. Mike C.

Mike C. Distinguished Member

Not that I would choose this category but high street fashion should be represented; Banana Republic, Club Monaco, J. Crew. I guess that most people wear this stuff.

I'd say my dress is more along the lines of LA Guy's response. For example today I'm wearing a vintage Wrangler cowboy shirt with Paper Denim jeans.

What I feel best wearing would obviously be a bespoke Saville Row suit though I haven't had this pleasure... yet.

11. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior Member

Wow, why do you call it High-Street in the US aswell. In the UK every city, town and village has a High Street, and that is where such shops are, hence the name for stores like Marks & Spencer, Next, Gap, H&M, etc. But I have never seen a High Street in the US. [​IMG]

12. Mike C.

Mike C. Distinguished Member

We actually don't. I don't know what we call it here, though I know that you British do call it high street, so I just said it as such.

13. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior Member

14. LabelKing

Gaultier is one of the few designers who actually cuts extremely well. Alexander McQueen being another. His women's couture lines are absolutely sublime. The men's I have to admit, certain items are a bit displeasing in aesthetics. But there are various collections that are stunningly designed. [​IMG] Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture S/S '00

15. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

I had the opportunity to purchase a whackload of JPG recently at about 95% off retail and didn't buy a single piece. The stuff is way, way too out there for almost anyone.