• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which TV?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
First off: stop shopping at WalMart.

Secondly: Buy a Sony.

Jon.

I know Sony is superior, but this is like a 3rd TV for a bar area to watch games. As for Wal-Mart, well, the Web site is a nice place to get specs and see photos of stuff. Don't think I would buy it there.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any TV you buy today, if you plan on keeping it for any length of time, should probably be a widescreen capable of resolving at least 760p HDTV signals. In a few years, most broadcasts will be in that format. I'm sure you can find a HD LCD in about that size for a similar price, given that 32" ones go for under $900 now.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Any TV you buy today, if you plan on keeping it for any length of time, should probably be a widescreen capable of resolving at least 760p HDTV signals. In a few years, most broadcasts will be in that format. I'm sure you can find a HD LCD in about that size for a similar price, given that 32" ones go for under $900 now.

In other words, if it says "HDTV compatible" I'm good to go, correct?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
In other words, if it says "HDTV compatible" I'm good to go, correct?

No. Make sure that the specs say that it resolves 720p. Also, don't count on the sales help, they'll know less than you.

Also, don't listen to Jon, he gets commissions from Sony. ( I kid, I kid!!!)

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
No. Make sure that the specs say that it resolves 720p. Also, don't count on the sales help, they'll know less than you.

Also, don't listen to Jon, he gets commissions from Sony. ( I kid, I kid!!!)

Thanks Ed. Sorry to be a pain **********, but this is off the spec sheet of a Phillips. IT saiys 720 is:"supported" but nowhere does it use the word "resolve." Will this cut it?:

Supported Display Resolution:

Computer formats: 640 x 480, 60, 67, 72, 75Hz
Video Formats: 640 x 480i - 1Fh, 640 x 480p - 2Fh, 720 x 576i - 1Fh, 720 x 576p - 2Fh, 1280 x 720p - 3Fh, 1920 x 1080i - 2Fh

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
No. Make sure that the specs say that it resolves 720p. Also, don't count on the sales help, they'll know less than you. Also, don't listen to Jon, he gets commissions from Sony. ( I kid, I kid!!!)
Actually, I just think their products are well made / designed. However, other TV brands are just as good, and if they ever make a 3-chip DLP system, they will surpass Sony’s SXRD technology. Just get the Philips then. Jon.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is there a t.v. you can use as a computer monitor or vice versa?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
is there a t.v. you can use as a computer monitor or vice versa?

The Phillips model I linked has that capability, as do most LCD TVs from what I understand. In fact, as soon as I get this baby mounted on the wall in my bar I'm going to subscribe to MLB TV and use it to watch my Cubbies when they are not on cable.

Every man needs a sports bar in his house.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
The Phillips model I linked has that capability, as do most LCD TVs from what I understand. In fact, as soon as I get this baby mounted on the wall in my bar I'm going to subscribe to MLB TV and use it to watch my Cubbies when they are not on cable.

Every man needs a sports bar in his house.

thanks stu,

do a lot of people use their tv as a computer monitor? this sounds like it should be common, to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, right?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
What would you guys recommend for something about 32" that would be used to watch films, would be wall mounted and should be compatible with future DVD formats (i.e. would be able to display blue rays or whatever standard will win properly and at the appropriate quality level)? Oh and I'm cheap :p

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
thanks stu,

do a lot of people use their tv as a computer monitor? this sounds like it should be common, to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, right?

Several friends in college did this. You need a special video card. Also, if you have a large enough hard drive, you can record as you watch a show, pause it, and then restart, sort of like Tivo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads