1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which TV?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Stu, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

First off: stop shopping at WalMart.

Secondly: Buy a Sony.

Jon.

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

First off: stop shopping at WalMart.

Secondly: Buy a Sony.

Jon.

I know Sony is superior, but this is like a 3rd TV for a bar area to watch games. As for Wal-Mart, well, the Web site is a nice place to get specs and see photos of stuff. Don't think I would buy it there.

4. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Any TV you buy today, if you plan on keeping it for any length of time, should probably be a widescreen capable of resolving at least 760p HDTV signals. In a few years, most broadcasts will be in that format. I'm sure you can find a HD LCD in about that size for a similar price, given that 32" ones go for under $900 now.

5. Stu

Stu Senior member

Any TV you buy today, if you plan on keeping it for any length of time, should probably be a widescreen capable of resolving at least 760p HDTV signals. In a few years, most broadcasts will be in that format. I'm sure you can find a HD LCD in about that size for a similar price, given that 32" ones go for under $900 now.

In other words, if it says "HDTV compatible" I'm good to go, correct?

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

In other words, if it says "HDTV compatible" I'm good to go, correct?

No. Make sure that the specs say that it resolves 720p. Also, don't count on the sales help, they'll know less than you.

Also, don't listen to Jon, he gets commissions from Sony. ( I kid, I kid!!!)

7. Stu

Stu Senior member

No. Make sure that the specs say that it resolves 720p. Also, don't count on the sales help, they'll know less than you.

Also, don't listen to Jon, he gets commissions from Sony. ( I kid, I kid!!!)

Thanks Ed. Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but this is off the spec sheet of a Phillips. IT saiys 720 is:"supported" but nowhere does it use the word "resolve." Will this cut it?:

Supported Display Resolution:

Computer formats: 640 x 480, 60, 67, 72, 75Hz
    Video Formats: 640 x 480i - 1Fh, 640 x 480p - 2Fh, 720 x 576i - 1Fh, 720 x 576p - 2Fh, 1280 x 720p - 3Fh, 1920 x 1080i - 2Fh

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

No. Make sure that the specs say that it resolves 720p. Also, don't count on the sales help, they'll know less than you. Also, don't listen to Jon, he gets commissions from Sony. ( I kid, I kid!!!)
    Actually, I just think their products are well made / designed. However, other TV brands are just as good, and if they ever make a 3-chip DLP system, they will surpass Sony’s SXRD technology. Just get the Philips then. Jon.

9. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

is there a t.v. you can use as a computer monitor or vice versa?

10. Stu

Stu Senior member

is there a t.v. you can use as a computer monitor or vice versa?

The Phillips model I linked has that capability, as do most LCD TVs from what I understand. In fact, as soon as I get this baby mounted on the wall in my bar I'm going to subscribe to MLB TV and use it to watch my Cubbies when they are not on cable.

Every man needs a sports bar in his house.

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

The Phillips model I linked has that capability, as do most LCD TVs from what I understand. In fact, as soon as I get this baby mounted on the wall in my bar I'm going to subscribe to MLB TV and use it to watch my Cubbies when they are not on cable.

Every man needs a sports bar in his house.

thanks stu,

do a lot of people use their tv as a computer monitor? this sounds like it should be common, to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, right?

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

What would you guys recommend for something about 32" that would be used to watch films, would be wall mounted and should be compatible with future DVD formats (i.e. would be able to display blue rays or whatever standard will win properly and at the appropriate quality level)? Oh and I'm cheap :p

13. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

thanks stu,

do a lot of people use their tv as a computer monitor? this sounds like it should be common, to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, right?

Several friends in college did this. You need a special video card. Also, if you have a large enough hard drive, you can record as you watch a show, pause it, and then restart, sort of like Tivo.