• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Which Tux?

Alexander Scriabin

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to decide between two tuxedos at the moment and could do with a few opinions.

I can decide between this Vestimenta from VCH at $499

or the Signature S/B peak lapel tuxedo on sale from JAB at $599

Logic tells me that the DB is of better quality but there is something about the cut that doesn't seem quite right to me. Is the gorge too high? Perhaps it's just an optical illusion?

Anyway, what do you think. I know the JAB is of lower quality but I prefer the SB cut. Can anyone comment on it's quality?

Regards,

Alexander Scriabin

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sort of a high and boxy button stance on the DB. I also find it peculiar looking. Might be different in your size.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The button stance on the Vestimenta seems high. Without regard to construction, etc., the JAB looks sharp.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree - button stance on the Vestimenta looks pretty high, not helped by the apparently very wide button spacing with the top pair seeming insanely high. It may work for you, once you put it on, but on the mannequin I don't like it and the JAB looks cleaner.

This is one where you need to see how they look, on you.

drax

Reaction score
The JAB by a long way. The Vestimenta looks like some sort of weird costume. A bit edwardian perhaps. Too stiff even if the cloth is good.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1st one is too boxy, and for DB I don`t think a boxy silouette looks good. I would take the 2nd one.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think we are forgetting here that Lance generally does not shoot his products in the most "commercial" light - e.g. he does not pin his suits to make them look for fitted than they really are, something I cannot say about this JAB tux

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The DB has some unflattering lighting but the thing looks like it could only be worn by the skipper of the Titanic. Go for the JAB.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I think we are forgetting here that Lance generally does not shoot his products in the most "commercial" light - e.g. he does not pin his suits to make them look for fitted than they really are, something I cannot say about this JAB tux

Obviously you need to try on the JAB first--I'll bet it's a lot fuller than you'd think. Let us know--I've been searching for a decent SB peaked tuxedo since time immemorial.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the pictures, it's an easy call: the JAB tux looks beautiful while the Vestimenta tux does look like something a ship captain would wear. But I agree that you really have to try them on to see how the suit silhouette works with you, because pictures can be incredibly deceiving. You need to go to a store that sells Vestimenta suits and try on a double breasted, then do the same at JAB. I never would have bought Vestimenta if I had just gone on a picture, but after trying one on at a Filenes, I found that they fit my body type extremely well (my shoulders are a 42 whereas the rest of me is a 40) and look ten times better than JAB suits look on me.

As for quality of construction, it's my understanding that Vestimenta suits are full canvassed and of better quality, but if it doesn't look good on you, that is irrelevant.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Regardless the Vestmina still looks over boxy and long. I just don't like it

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%