• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Trench Coat Should I Get?

Kevin24

Reaction score
I am missing a traditional cotton raincoat in my dress wardrobe,, which of the following should I get? I would be wearing this mainly with suits/business attire and sometimes in a more business casual manner too.

This by cotton "car coat" by J Press

Ether of these two by Brooks. Alternatively, I am also considering this BB Golden Fleece trench too.

Lastly, I am considering a DB dark navy trench by Sarar, which would be the cheapest option on "sale" at under $200. It's a slimmer/shorter cut than the BB trench and appears well made for the price. But it's a big turn off because it doesn't have a detachable liner an I am afraid its not conservative enough.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand why the industry has shortened the trench. My problem with those coat lengths is - if you spend any time outside in the rain you're pants get too wet. And, to be honest, with business attire (suit) I really don't think it looks good having a short trench. If it's just chinos then OK. So, a couple years back, I bit the bullet and bought an Aquascutum full length trench. I don't regret that decision for a moment. The only downside, based on you post, is it doesn't have a liner. But, I don't see in the description that the BB coat does either. And, let's face it - from a looks perspective, IMO, neither of those coats comes close to the traditional (Aquascutum's Bogart trench):
trench.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three of the coats you posted are not really trench coats but rather Mackintosh ("mac") coats. The J. Press jacket is way too short to wear over a suit so take that one off your list. The second and third BB coats are also short for a raincoat (mid-thigh).
Do you want a true trench coat or do you want a mac coat?

Kevin24

Reaction score
Three of the coats you posted are not really trench coats but rather Mackintosh ("mac") coats. The J. Press jacket is way too short to wear over a suit so take that one off your list. The second and third BB coats are also short for a raincoat (mid-thigh).
Do you want a true trench coat or do you want a mac coat?

Preferably a true trench, but I will settle for a mac.

To be honest anything by Aquascutum, Burberry, Grenfell, etc at the moment is too much above my budget (which is $700 at the absolute max)

Panama

Reaction score
Preferably a true trench, but I will settle for a mac.

To be honest anything by Aquascutum, Burberry, Grenfell, etc at the moment is too much above my budget (which is $700 at the absolute max)
They are not that expensive in the UK, you would also get it Tax free which negates the shipping. Grenfell from £595.00 and Gloverall for a car coat £120.00

gloverall-mansell-car-coat-11818415095878_229_840x.jpg

Whippetweb

Reaction score
You can pick up a vintage Burberry one of eBay relatively cheaply these days. Burberry produced the original trench, although this has been debated.

Panama

Reaction score
You can pick up a vintage Burberry one of eBay relatively cheaply these days. Burberry produced the original trench, although this has been debated.
If you check out the vintage adverts, many companies produced trench coats for WW1 including Thresher and Glenny, and possibly Hector Powe.

Whippetweb

Reaction score
Yes, but Burberry actually invented the trench before ww1. There is a debate of who invented it first Burberry and another company of whom I cant remember the name.

Panama

Reaction score
Yes, but Burberry actually invented the trench before ww1. There is a debate of who invented it first Burberry and another company of whom I cant remember the name.
It wouldn't have been a trench before WW1. Raincoats had been invented before Burberry.

Whippetweb

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads