1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which top tier English wholecut to get?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Dec 20, 2004.

1. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Thanks for all your responses on my earlier post on wholecut shoes.

As you might know by now, I have a fetish for wholecuts. I have narrowed my choices down to either an EG Newbury or a C&J handgrade Weymouth.

Here are some questions that I would like to seek some opinions on:

- I like the Newbury better because it has a plain toe, but I can't get them where I live and am unlikely to be in London anytime soon. I am therefore inclined to try a pair of Weymouth when I visit P. Lal in KL next week. Do you think that I should get a pair of Weymouth, or should I wait for the chance to try a pair of Newbury? In other words, should I get the best (at least in the English shoemaking world) and forget about the rest?

- Weymouth handgrade as a second choice is partly predicated on the fact that they are a close second to Newbury in terms of quality and workmanship. Would you agree? If not, what would you suggest as a close second?

- I have never worn brown shoes with navy or charcoal pants. Where I am, in Singapore, black shoes are considered the standard to go with business dressing, suits etc. May I ask why I see so many brown shoes being showcased on the forum, and whether brown shoes are appropriate with navy or charcoal suits in business settings?

2. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Order a Weymouth direct from C&J and have them leave off the medallion.

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

They won't do it, at least not for a reasonable price. I believe that the price quoted to members here who have asked about special orders from Crockett & Jones is somewhere in the neighborhood of £595, which is absolutely outrageous.

I'm partial to Edward Green myself. I think that their shoes are more than worth the price differential between them and C&J Handgrades. In addition to that, EG has an excellent special order program: for an upcharge of something like 15%, you can choose the model, the last, the sole treatment, and other features of the shoe. I can't, however, recommend ordering shoes when you don't know how they fit. Does Edward Green not distribute in Singapore or Malaysia? Might you make a trip to Japan sooner than you would make a trip to London? I would e-mail Edward Green and ask for a list of retailers. There might be someone (relatively) close to you.

As to whether brown shoes are appropriate with gray trousers in a business setting, it depends on what and where your business is. It sounds like it's not appropriate in your business. I love brown shoes, but not if your coworkers and superiors would look at you funny if you wear them.

4. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

Just a quick heads up: The current Edward Green catalogue shows the Newbury with a medallion (in olive calf no less). The previous catalogue shows a plain toe. I suggest contacting Edward Green to find out which is the current default configuration so that you'll know if a plain-toe requires a special order or not.

If you decide that brown is inappropriate for your needs, note that both the Weymouth and the Newbury are available in black.

5. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

What a coincidence. Just got my Newbury special orders today. 888 last, Acorn Antique, 4 eyelet, no medallion, steel toe tap, bevelled waist, half-black sole. I would say Edward Green all the way; the only shoes I own (among Lobb, Berluti, Trickers, Maxwells, etc.) where the quality seems to be exuded in some sort of glow.
    To clarify -- in both EG catalogs the Newbury has a medallion. It's just a lot harder to see in the first catalog because of the angle of the shot.
    I don't know the Weymouth firsthand. I've really liked the C&J Handgrades I've seen up close. However, in black Green's superlative antiquing wouldn't matter so much. The C&J would be comparable on that level in that color.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

they sound gorgeous.

7. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Pictures. Pictures.

8. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I second the motion for pictures.

I wish EG would get around to sending me a catalog.

9. Ed355

Ed355 Senior member

Is there a P. LAL in KL? I don't think you can get Edward Greens in non-Japan Asia, other than the Ralph Lauren purple label shoes (and even then, the choice is very limited).

10. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

11. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Plus, their C&J Handgrades are priced the same as when they are on sale in London, around UKP200. Â Great deal. Â [​IMG]

12. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I own the Weymouths and they were my favorite shoes until I started purchasing EGs. I'm with jcusey on this - I think the quality and antiquing on the Edward Greens is superior enough to justify the price differential. That said, I can't recommend PLAL enough - their level of service and pricing are both excellent.