• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which tie for this shirt ?

Tibo

Reaction score
I can't help it, I definitely love the pattern of this shirt:
GJ4F2225-L.jpg

But before I order, I have two problems/questions which need to be solved:

1) Which tie could I wear which wouldn't clash with the shirt's pattern ? I am thinking of a navy tie, but I almost only own patterned ties ... Any thoughts ?

2) It's made by Bond & Smiley, which I understand is a 'fake' J-street shirtmaker (fake as in "Charles Tyrwhitt"). I've been posting about this firmbefore, but didn't get any feedback apart from that. Their pattern seem decent, and their explanation of 'the real McCoy' rather satisfying to me (http://www.bondandsmiley.co.uk/index...n=about_shirts : 4 piece yoke, MOP buttons, single needle stitching, butterfly gusset- what's missing is the matching patterns). Do you really think I'll see a difference in quality in comparison to shirts by Cole's for instance ?

To cut a long story short, I'm looking for reasons why I should buy this shirt. But if the forum's feedback is "Bond & Smiley is crap and this pattern is awful", I will probably end up not buying it ...
smile.gif

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many blue-based ties that could go with this shirt it's ridiculous.

Check out this page of Carlo Franco ties, just as an example. I could see anything except Row 1, #4 and Row 2, #1 working with this shirt. If you like the shirt and feel confident that you'll be satisfied with the fit and quality, buy it, but don't worry about coordination -- that will be easy.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the shirt too. You could wear a tie with stripes of a different scale from those on the shirt (as Doc Holliday wrote), polka dots (classic with stripes), any neat tie, solid blue of nearly any shade, checks, diamonds... Just make sure the tie contains some color found in the shirt (I see pink, blue, and maybe white or cream. I wouldn't wear a tie with a pink ground, but blue is great).

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
or even a solid white tie with a crystal playboy bunny! - or a polka dot tie! in darker shade too many choices i think i would get the shirt and then go tie shopping!!!

Jill

Reaction score
This little number would be a perfect match on days you're feeling a little festive...
preview.jpg

trogdor

Reaction score
Navy pindot -- goes well with everything.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
W311-E_L.jpg
J Crew had a blue/pink tie that would have worked really well but I don't think they make it anymore at least not in this season. For something a bit more conservative, you could go with this, which is one of my favorite ties ever!
67080_NW0609.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
67080_NW0609.jpg
Old Etonian?

Similar. This one is from J Crew, and the stripes are in a different direction. Ben Silver makes a replica of the Eton tie and I believe the stripes are slightly wider as well.
O01_L.jpg

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you own a warmish gray suit and some brown shoes? If so, I'd wear it with that and a solid brown tie. Others here may say I'm crazy, but I think it could work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads