• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which tie for engagement?

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Hey guys!

As some of you might remember from my previous post, I was on a hunt for a suit, tie and shoes.

I ended up getting a suit from Suit Supply, the Washington Fit—which is the slimmest one they have. I had it tailored at Wilfred Tailor in NY. Great service, Manny for extremely nice and knowledgeable.

I then picked up a pair of AE McAllister's in black during the 90th anniversary sale. :)

Now the final part, the Tie! I have to have some sort of "coral pink" in my tie, though its been a mission to find that shade, I'm going with any shade of pink at this moment.

I picked up 5 ties and would love an opinion on which one I should keep?

I also picked up a pair of cufflinks during BB's 25% of sale...which also have a hint of pink.

Well here are the pictures, sorry for the poor quality—I had a family member offer to take them, so I couldn't be choosey.

Tie 1: Hugo Boss Slim Tie

Tie 2: Brooks Brothers Slim Tie

Tie 3: Club Room Stripe Slim Tie

Tie 4: Club Room Solid Slim Tie (though it looks wide)

Tie 5: Brooks Brothers Slim Tie

Also, I picked these up...

Well let me know which one of these you guys think would work or none..lol

Sorry for pocket square sticking out, I had to keep changing ties and just got tired...

Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited:

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like #3 > #2 > #1 = #4 = #5

Also, learn to tie a Four-in-Hand knot. Your full windsor is far too big for that shirt and is really off-putting.

Jkhan82

Reaction score

I like #3 > #2 > #1 = #4 = #5
Also, learn to tie a Four-in-Hand knot. Your full windsor is far too big for that shirt and is really off-putting.

Thanks!

I'll try to learn it this weekend, I sadly only know how to tie a windsor—I don't wear ties much. No excuse though! :)

facet

Reaction score
Mmm, I kind of like #5 > #1 > #3 > #2 = #4.

As an aside, I would also shorten your shirt cuffs.

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I really like #3 as well, it matches the Cufflinks perfectly—but the quality of the tie is not near the others. :( but I think it would be good for a 1 night event.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 and 5 are the best to my eye. And you don't have to match the cufflinks exactly- they certainly go well with any of the choices.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like #2.
Shirt sleeves def have to be shortened....

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep them all, the idea that just one tie is sufficient is absolutely stupid.

fashionsnob

Reaction score

Nice! As a tie aficionado I would have to agree with your statement. But, given the choices I would pick #1 or #5. Also sleeves of your shirt are a bit long (or simply tighten the cuffs a bit).

facet

Reaction score

He didn't say he was only buying one tie for everything; he just needed a tie for this particular event. Unless you already know that he has no other ties in his possession?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#5 and then #2.

Rather than spending money shortening the sleeves of the shirt, find another shirt that's already the proper sleeve length but with a wider spread on the collar. You'll look much more "finished" with the collar points tucked away under your lapels rather than having them just floating around out there. Also, you might go back to Manny and have him slim the seat of the pants (or the upper part of the legs, hard to say from the pic.) to match the slim fit of the coat.

Last edited:

Cunrad

Reaction score
my prefs: # 5 > # 1 > # 4.
# 3 and # 2 are out..

and +1 on different shirt with wider spread collar

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads