• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Steamer and Iron

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Ive just been told If you're going to buy good suits, don't steam them- it's the worst thing you can do to them.

Suits should be pressed instead...

So should I not steam my suits at all?

What about steaming wool pullovers and other knitwear?

Thanks
smile.gif

Pullovers and knitwear are fine. Suits are not. Each seam is like two trouser creases- when you steam the trouser the crease goes away, no? And there is tons of stuff that is not so evident at first.

Here is what Sartoria Pirozzi said about pressing on this board. They said they need an hour and a half to two and a half to iron a suit. If it could be done properly in two minutes with a steamer, do you not think they would?

Here is what Chris Despos has said on the matter.

Originally Posted by Despos
I don't think this will change anyones opinion but... I have been doing tailoring work 37 years and I fear the steam. It wreaks havoc on cloth. It is dangerous in inexperienced hands. The negative effects are less on lesser made/quality clothes but can really undo much of the shaping of bench made clothes. We utilize steam making clothes but it is very, very controlled. So now someone will say, " but I do it all the time, no problems.". That is BS.
Ill show you the difference that your eye does not discern.

You may not find a good pressing to be practical or easy, any more than hand detailing a fine car is practical or easy. People on this board like to discuss bespoke, Brioni, Kiton, bref, the Aston Martins of the suit world. Go on a fine car forum and you won't find people complaining about the time and expense in hand detailing their cars, even though the mechanical car wash is much faster and cheaper and they won't service their cars themselves just to save a few dollars. The lengths that some people go through to maintain their shoes is astounding but a suit, which can be worth five times as much, is not worth more than a quick shot from the Jiffy steamer, according to some.

A good suit is an investment and if you want to care for it properly, with the same level of craftsmanship that went into making it, it will require some time and maybe some expense.

On a lesser suit there is a different danger. Nothing can cause delamination of fusing faster than a little steam applied without pressure. Fusible is bonded to the cloth by putting it through a machine with a set of heated rollers that apply huge heat and pressure for about 15 seconds- the resin is melted and the pressure forces it to bond the two layers. Pressing a suit may soften the resin but the pressure from the iron will prevent delamination; if you steam it without the added pressure you can soften the resin and weaken the bond. You won't see it immediately, but maybe the next time you wear it the fusible will start to peel away in spots. One reason we used to see so many delaminated suits was that dry cleaners often used steam dummies on suits. The fusibles have improved but cleaners have, as well.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
could you please sugest a proper non steam press iron as i have only found crappy light plastic steam ones.

regards,

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
could you please sugest a proper non steam press iron as i have only found crappy light plastic steam ones.

regards,

Yamata commercial is the iron you often see in alterations shops etc.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez

regards,

18 pound dry irons are for hardcore pressing geeks only- a little elbow grease will do the trick instead. As some have observed, if you steam a crease, it puffs up. To maintain or create the crease, you apply pressure, then give a shot of steam, then, applying pressure, wait for the area to be almost dry. Don't press the area until it's completely dry- that makes the fiber brittle (we use vacuum to speed up drying). Best to press until its almost dry, then let it rest for a moment to completely cool and dry out before moving it. Use a press cloth to prevent shine.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Aaah... the never-ending debate on the near-nuclear destructive effect of applying a little steam and the totally impractical advice to press your suits yourself every time there are a few wrinkles...
facepalm.gif

This is my attitude, although I take heed to the point that all of the tailors I patronize possess pressing irons, not steamers.

I hang my suits in the shower befor/after I wear them . . . how much damage am I doing?

Wrigglez

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it depends how long you have a shower for. more than 5-6 min and bubbling can occur

kahn

Reaction score
It's funny how in most threads on this forum, people discuss high-end clothing and products. Yet in this particular thread, people are discussing cheap irons. I don't believe Rowenta has market presence in Australia, so I can't comment on their products, but come on now. Is this really in keeping with the style forum? Get yourself a fancy set-up like an ironing system from Laura Star. I have a low-mid range G5 model and can recommend it. Check them out at www.laurastar.com. Even better, go into one of their stores (if there's one near you) and ask for a demonstration.

bullethead

Reaction score
the best iron i've ever used is the Silverstar es-300 or similar type iron. they are no frills, yet have weight to them.

It's the type of iron one would see at the cleaners. In fact, it is the same iron Mike uses at Geneva.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kahn
It's funny how in most threads on this forum, people discuss high-end clothing and products. Yet in this particular thread, people are discussing cheap irons.

Now, that's not fair. My suits are cheap too!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads