• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Shoes?

Reaction score
Hi shine on shoes like the Bass make them look cheap ( I know at college I also thought highly polished = smart, super shiny patent = even smarter , but that isn't really the case). Try for a pair of black (calf & leather sole) oxfords as has already been suggested, I'd suggest Barker or Loake off ebay as a good place to start on a budget. The brown shoes you listed would attract the wrong type of attention, I fear. Good luck.

Essential

Reaction score
@facet Thanks! That was a great suggestion. I found a few pairs that I like but I'm unsure if my parents would like me getting used shoes. I'm just wearing them casually.

Do you know if the AE interactive fit guide on their site is accurate?

@champagne I didn't know about the shiny part. I don't like the idea of black oxfords with shorts. On eBay, same as above, I don't know if my parents would like used shoes but I'm going to consider it.

EDIT: I found a new pair! Facet, were you looking at this pair? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...ti=US+Shoe+Size+(Men's) 8&hash=item3a71982f67 I think I'll buy this one haha.

^ Is that one good?

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you want loafers so much? I have a couple of pairs and to be honest I rarely wear them. As PhiPsi recommended, a good black plain or cap toe shoe is timeless and will last you for years. Email the Allen Edmonds Shoebank at [email protected] and ask them to email you a list of shoes in your size and width. The factory seconds are very reasonably priced and depending on your time frame, they have rotating sales where things are incredibly cheap. IIRC, sometime in the spring they usually have a 2 for $200 sale on discontinued shoes so if you can wait a bit, that would be a great time to purchase 2 pairs.
Fred

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NO. Stop with the loafers...Loafers with a black suit looks like shite....A black suit looks like shite....

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

NO. Stop with the loafers...Loafers with a black suit looks like shite....A black suit looks like shite....

Black loafers and a black suit. Maybe you want to reconsider that statement?

But agreed, in OP's budget he wont look anything like that.

facet

Reaction score

@facet Thanks! That was a great suggestion. I found a few pairs that I like but I'm unsure if my parents would like me getting used shoes. I'm just wearing them casually.

EDIT: I found a new pair! Facet, were you looking at this pair? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...ti=US+Shoe+Size+(Men's) 8&hash=item3a71982f67 I think I'll buy this one haha.

^ Is that one good?

Yeah, that was the pair I was looking at. Now, if you're wearing those with shorts and casually, I think those would be perfectly fine. As ter1413 stated though, I wouldn't wear those with suits (and would echo the recommendation of finding a charcoal or navy in your budget as a start); but I get the impression that you don't plan on doing that anyway. That being said, the above purchase seems to be under your budget, so that should leave you with leeway for another purchase of a pair of decent dress shoes later on.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you know if the AE interactive fit guide on their site is accurate?

@champagne I didn't know about the shiny part. I don't like the idea of black oxfords with shorts. On eBay, same as above, I don't know if my parents would like used shoes but I'm going to consider it.

^ Is that one good?

What are your size? I can help you find some.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you want loafers so bad? Similar to the person above, I have several pairs and they are still sitting in my closet, unworn --- and leather loafers might seem out of place in college?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would rather get some suede boat shoes like Sebage Docksides or Sperry Top Siders for casual wear.

Essential

Reaction score
People are mixing things up.
-I'm getting the loafers to wear casually with shorts.
-I'm getting a heather charcoal suit, not black. I made a mistake stating it would be black.

@facet For the suit, I'm just planning to get the J&M ones I posted on the front page. I'm more worried about getting a better pair of casual wear loafers right now.

@Christian I already have a bunch of suede boat shoes, hence I'm looking at loafers now. I'm size 8C/ 8D.

Would the shoes I posted above look good with khaki/white shorts? or would these work well too? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMON...25?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item231a520bb5

On another note, is the interactive fit guide on the AE site accurate? (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/TheFitRightView?langId=&storeId=1&catalogId=40000000001)

I really appreciate all the help I've been getting so far though!

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score

@facet  For the suit, I'm just planning to get the J&M ones I posted on the front page. I'm more worried about getting a better pair of casual wear loafers right now.

Fair enough.

@Christian I already have a bunch of suede boat shoes, hence I'm looking at loafers now. I'm size 8C/ 8D.

Would the shoes I posted above look good with khaki/white shorts? or would these work well too? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMON...25?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item231a520bb5

The Kenwoods would be fine with shorts of any colour. So would the Aztecs; but it depends on how casual a look you want to go. The pair I was referencing are obviously dressier than this pair; so if you're looking for something that you can wear in a less casual setting, then go for the former. Personally, I like the look of the Kenwoods better and would find them more versatile for my purposes. Heck, I'm almost tempted to buy them now just for ***** and giggles as I've never owned loafers before.

Essential

Reaction score
Decisions decisions. I'm leaning more toward the Aztecs side now because it's much more casual. I'm afraid the dark color is too ostentatious and pretentious looking. I also feel as if it won't really match my shorts because of the darkness. Also, I can order Aztecs from the actual site and return them easily if they don't fit. There's too much red tape (and restocking fee) to return on eBay. I'll ask my sister for her opinion (family tie-breaker).

You should buy a pair a pair for yourself. If I had room to experiment, I would totally get both of them haha.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Aztec are IMO a thousand times better than anything you've posted yet. Heeled loafers is, again IMO, a bit to old-manish, especially when they're not suede.
For your suit I would recommend getting these (no affiliation), it's only one day left of the auction so he will probably sell for $160.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads