• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Shoes Do I Keep? (pics)

txeconomist

Reaction score
I can't decide which size shoe to keep, the 9.5s or the 10s? The 9.5s seem a little narrow and the 10s a little big. I wrapped a rubber band where the tips of my toes are in the shoes. Are the 10s obviously too big? With thicker socks the 10s feel ok.

I am also a little worried that if the 9.5 are in fact too small that they will crease awkwardly due cordovan's characteristics. The 9.5s already seem like they are creasing in a way I am not all that crazy about. I think that other people have tried them on and walked around the store or at home on the carpet because of the creasing apparent when they arrived in the mail.

It seems to me that I need a 9.5E... I know this a decision that only I can make... but what do yall think?

Darlton4.jpg

darlton3.jpg

Darlton2.jpg

darlton.jpg

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by txeconomist
I know this a decision that only I can make

I think you just answered you own question. Only you know how they fit.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't say without seeing them on, but you seem to already have a good idea of witch one is the better fit.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go with the smaller ones. bench grade shoes tend to loosen slightly over time. I didn't believe this when a person at the crockett & jones store told me so, and I ended up buying to pairs of shoes a half size too big. That makes creasing severe.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
go with the smaller ones. bench grade shoes tend to loosen slightly over time. I didn't believe this when a person at the crockett & jones store told me so, and I ended up buying to pairs of shoes a half size too big. That makes creasing severe.

This is shell cordovan ... which does not stretch too much. Also with bigger shoes you can always try insoles/tongue pads but smaller shoes will *always* end up hurting your feet.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try comparing the widest part of your foot with the widest part of the shoe. The ball of your foot should fall where the shoe wants it to fall. That's more accurate than worrying about the space left beyond your toes. If your toes are being squeezed, it doesn't matter if there's six inches of empty space.

Also, note where your arch falls in relation to the arch support.

If you can't get a satisfactory match in those areas, or if the shoes slip too much, that last may not be for you.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
The 10s seem to have the ideal distance w.r.t where your toes end and where the end of the shoe is. I sent you a long detailed PM.

Can you explain the logic contained in the PM?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DapperDave
Can you explain the logic contained in the PM?

sure, here is what I wrote:

In general, be aware of these 3 things when you do try and see how a shoe fits:

1. First and foremost, where the widest part of your feet are w.r.t to the widest part of the shoe. Sometimes you have to go up/down a size and up/down a width to get the right fit. Do NOT compromize on this ever - you can really damage your feet by not wearing the right width and not having the right ball-to-heel distance in your shoes. Ask any podiatrist!

2. Second, how the heels fit. The shoe should ideally hug your heel area - there should be a little gap, but not too much. If you make a mistake here, you'll see air swooshing in and out of the shoe whenever you walk (esp in a staircase).

3. Distance between end of longest toe and end of shoe. As I said earlier, there should alteast be 0.5-1". My most comfortable shoes have 0.75-1" clearance . Caveat: I mostly wear aldens and a couple of C&Js on the 325 last.

All this comes from personal experience and I have made many mistakes in the past and learnt the hard way. If the shoe doesn't feel right (or feels tight/small in the first few tries, that is most probably how it will be, esp with shell cordovan). Trust your feet, and do not keep a shoe just for looks. Not worth being uncomfortable all day just for looks.

I also said that the 10s seem like a better fit in my opinion.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep the 10's. I have those shoes and wear them mostly in cool weather with thick socks anyway. They're not extactly lightweight summer shoes.

mouseandcat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats

3. Distance between end of longest shoe and end of shoe. As I said earlier, there should alteast be 0.5-1". My most comfortable shoes have 0.75-1" clearance . Caveat: I mostly wear aldens and a couple of C&Js on the 325 last.

All this comes from personal experience and I have made many mistakes in the past and learnt the hard way. If the shoe doesn't feel right (or feels tight/small in the first few tries, that is most probably how it will be, esp with shell cordovan). Trust your feet, and do not keep a shoe just for looks. Not worth being uncomfortable all day just for looks.

I also said that the 10s seem like a better fit in my opinion.

i assume you mean between the longest TOE and end of SHOE, right? good advice, that's how I like it, 1'' sounds sorta large, i like 1/2''-3/4''

seems like i have a similar problem, i always seem to be an inbetween size, not in width, but in length. sort of a bummer.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on sizing down on a pair of shoes as well, so this is helpful. Thanks.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried using a thin Tacco shoe insole on the size 10's? They work very well for me when there's a bit of extra volume in a shoe.

jhao

Reaction score
keep the 10's, the 9.5 could hurt your feet-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads