• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shoe trees to go with?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been doing some searching and it seems there are a number of different trees to go wtih so I am not quite sure who to buy from. Here are some of the ones floated around that I have found on here:

Costco
Nordstrom
AE
The ones from Grapevine Hill (apparently these are AE?)
One cedar lane
Affiliate Hanger Project.....

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Woodlore is owned by AE. Woodlore makes the AE, GVH, maybe OCL; don't know about Hanger project. Costco's are made in China and only come in one size. Nordstrom's are probably also Woodlore. Rochester is the other big American manufacturer. There's not a lot of reason to prefer one brand over another unless you are buying them from the shoe maker and they are sized and/or lasted.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Woodlore is owned by AE. Woodlore makes the AE, GVH, maybe OCL; don't know about Hanger project. Costco's are made in China and only come in one size. Nordstrom's are probably also Woodlore. Rochester is the other big American manufacturer. There's not a lot of reason to prefer one brand over another unless you are buying them from the shoe maker and they are sized and/or lasted.

Thanks! Just reading through the other posts I found, it looked like people had complaints about some of the brands falling apart or no fitting the shoe correct... just wasnt sure if one is considered better than the other.

What about the trees from the cedarville store, the 'epic'?

Keon

Reaction score
Just make sure they are cedar and have no plastic parts! I use Woodlore.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Epics are made by woodlore, and they're available elsewhere too. I use Epics whenever possible, but they are wider and shorter than some other models. YMMV.

mljones99

Reaction score
I buy mine at Nordstrom. Never had a problem with them plus Nordstrom is right around the corner from the store I work in so it is convienent for me to grab a pair when I need them.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to go with the cedarville store epics, although you mentioned they are made by woodlore, they lok quite different then the woodlore ones I am seeing, plus they are close in price (about $5 difference) my only concern is the sizing.

I wear around a 10.5 - 11 US/ 44-44.5 (usually 11) depending on which brand, all the shoe tree sizing seems to point me toward a m=up to 10.5 or L=11 and up, or in the other brand it is a L=up to 10.5 or XL=11 and up, either way I am not sure if I should get the smaller or larger possible tree? I am thinking I should get whatever size goes with an 11... but as mentioned some of my dress shoes are 10.5

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately you are in the Woodlore Epic No Mans Land size, it's hard to say whether a M or L would work better for you. If you were 10-even I would tell you M with high certainty.

The best middle of the road trees are the simple split toe rochesters with the ledge-handled heel. As it is, the Epics work fine for me so far

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the one from Grapevinehill. They are AE shoe trees, rebranded with the Grapevinehill logo. It comes to about $15 or $16 per pair from the Grapevinehill ebay store.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Unfortunately you are in the Woodlore Epic No Mans Land size, it's hard to say whether a M or L would work better for you. If you were 10-even I would tell you M with high certainty.

The best middle of the road trees are the simple split toe rochesters with the ledge-handled heel. As it is, the Epics work fine for me so far

well I suppose it would be wiser to go with the smaller size if I am right on the sizing fence. I figure they will still keep the shape of the she and shouldnt stretch them out much (on the other hand if I went up a size when I am in the middle there may be a better chance of stretching)..

Reborn

Reaction score
You also have to keep in mind the shape of the heel on the trees. The Woodlore split trees are significantly narrower then others such as the Rochester St. Paul model. Not sure what is better. Both shown here:

IMG_5069.jpg

Left to right is:

Edward Green generic tree for the 606/202 last IIRC.
Edward Green for Ralph Lauren Purple Label 89 Last.
Nordstrom branded Woodlore split tree.
Richard's of Greenwich branded Rochester St. Paul model.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Are shoe trees supposed to be specifically fit to each shoe? That is, should I bring my shoe with me when getting shoe trees? In those pics seems like they are differently shaped.

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
Are shoe trees supposed to be specifically fit to each shoe? That is, should I bring my shoe with me when getting shoe trees? In those pics seems like they are differently shaped.

Generic shoe tress made by either Woodlore or Rochester will not fit specifically to each shoe.

The two tress on the left from the picture above are made by the maker of the shoe specifically to fit into the near exact original shape. They cost much much more and are only offered from the higher end shoe makers.

But as you can see even with the generic shoe trees in the picture, the two on the right, the shape of them does vary in both the front piece as well as the width and shape of the heel. It all comes down to how anal you are about these things, as the far right tree, the cheapest of the four, will be sufficient for most people. But stylefourm people by nature aren't very reasonable about these types of things and we love to over analyze them.

ennui

Reaction score
Newbie question: size 40 and 41 (as listed on that website) correspond to US 7 and 8?

What do you like about these trees? I am in the market for a few and was just going to go for the Nordstrom Rack ones.

Originally Posted by Steven Aver
I think these varnished beechnut ones from TMlewin are great for the price unfortunately they only have size 7 and 8 left.

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...essories!13626

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads