• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shoe? (Both?)

jmatt

Reaction score
Here are two somewhat similar, yet different shoes. One is the Edward Green Inverness in Burgundy. Price - about $500 after shipping. The other is Allen Edmunds Birmingham in Chilli Antibes Calf. Price - $240.

If picking only one, which one? Certainly they are completely different in price and quality. With the A-E, I could litterally buy two different pair. But - the E-G is of course, an E-G.

Thoughts? (Biggest factor is the spouse - or I'd buy both and never think twice).

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any EGs? They're easily twice the shoe that AE is based on the refinement of the last and the quality of the leathers, finishing, and construction. If any of that is of importance to you, I'd recommend you pull the trigger on the Greens as $500 is a rare sale price on those.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Functionally, the shoes are virtually identical. Aesthetically, the EG is substantially better (although I don't know if I'll say twice as better).

Really depends on how much of a value you give to the aesthetics. I tend to value functionality a little bit more than the denizens of this forum.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say go with the EG - it's a good price, and let's face it, it's simply a better looking shoe than the AE.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Do you have any EGs? They're easily twice the shoe that AE is based on the refinement of the last and the quality of the leathers, finishing, and construction.

Then how come my (RLPL) EG's are separating in the soles, whereas I've never had that problem with even Ferragamo Studios to say nothing of better shoes such as Ferragamo Tramezzas, Ludwig Reiters, Aldens, Testonis, or AE'S?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Then how come my (RLPL) EG's are separating in the soles, whereas I've never had that problem with even Ferragamo Studios to say nothing of better shoes such as Ferragamo Tramezzas, Ludwig Reiters, Aldens, Testonis, or AE'S?

interesting point, on the flip side, my AEs are the only shoes that have ever separated in the soles for me.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Five hundred bucks is an excellent price for Greens--extraordinarily low!

If you are on a budget, consider that the Birmingham is scheduled to be put on closeout status at the beginning of August, whereupon the price for firsts will drop to $222, for seconds to $169...if that skews your decision any.

jmatt

Reaction score
Perhaps both.......
I'll just have to work on the home front.
Hey JLibourel - What color polish on chilli antibes?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
I don't know. Because Ferragamo Studios are superior to EGs in Bizarro World?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I like the EG's, definately worth the $500.00. I would read my post though regarding the damage to your shoes. You really need to be resized and have the pronation of your feet looked into before buying anything, especially online.

Best Regards,

Gary

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy the Greens now and wait until the AE's go on close out

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
If you like the EGs much more than AE, get them (EGs). You'll be happier in the long run. My guess is if you get the AEs, you'll still want the EGs later on......but if you get the EGs, you might not want the AEs later, or if you still do, will prolly have chances to get them on sale.

jmatt

Reaction score
Sage advice, all!! Thank you gentlemen.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmatt
Here are two somewhat similar, yet different shoes. One is the Edward Green Inverness in Burgundy. Price - about $500 after shipping. The other is Allen Edmunds Birmingham in Chilli Antibes Calf. Price - $240.

If picking only one, which one? Certainly they are completely different in price and quality. With the A-E, I could litterally buy two different pair. But - the E-G is of course, an E-G.

Thoughts? (Biggest factor is the spouse - or I'd buy both and never think twice).

Out of the box, the styling of the EG's is noticeably more elegant, but I'm wondering whether the difference is as noticeable once they're actually on the foot, particularly after they've been broken in.

That's assuming, of course, that aesthetics are the main factor. If you're leaning towards the EG's because they're a better made shoe, then that's another thing entirely.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
That's assuming, of course, that aesthetics are the main factor. If you're leaning towards the EG's because they're a better made shoe, then that's another thing entirely.

Is the EG really a better made shoe than the AE? If so, how is it better made?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads