• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shirt? Borrelli? Barba? Attolini? Truzzi? Other?

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been thinking about testing the water with a highish end Italian shirt and was just looking at the options at shop the finest and STP (I'm not affiliated with them). I'm looking for a white shirt with blue stripes and while I'm sure they are all great (I've done enough searches and read enough to realise that there isn't a bad choice), is there a standout option?

For example, is a $600 Attolini reduced to $199 a "better" shirt than a $425 Borrelli reduced to $159 than a $300 Barba reduced to $129 and so on? They all seem well constructed, all have shell buttons and all have a good rep. STP also has Truzzi and Lorenzini at around $199, and Corneliani at a scant $90 which I could get another 20% off.

I know "better" is in the eye of the beholder but I'm still learning when in comes to shirts so advice gratefully appreciated. For reference, I'm normally a 16.5/35 not slim fit but not billowy (I'm about a 38 waist so darts are out) and my last few shirts have been Dunhill and TM Lewin. (Apart from a couple of RLPL from Holdfast that I haven't worn yet which I believe are made by Lorenzini). I do have a few Italian shirts but they are a bit random. I refer button cuffs if possible, too.

Below are some examples of shirts I've been looking at, cheers in advance for any help. If not one of these, then what else that I can get for between $100-$200?

http://www.shopthefinest.com/Image.a...9/BN6541-1.jpg

http://www.shopthefinest.com/Image.a...3/LB7092-1.jpg

http://www.shopthefinest.com/Image.a...1/AN3851-2.jpg

http://www.shopthefinest.com/Image.a...5/JG8486-2.jpg

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/1...e-For-Men.html

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/8...e-For-Men.html

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd say Barba then Truzzi for you. The problem with a lot of the stuff is that it varies from model to model. I have some Borrelli shirts that fit like a tent others than are super slim. Check to make sure what you are getting into before buying.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
For example, is a $600 Attolini reduced to $199 a "better" shirt than a $425 Borrelli reduced to $159 than a $300 Barba reduced to $129 and so on? They all seem well constructed, all have shell buttons and all have a good rep. STP also has Truzzi and Lorenzini at around $199, and Corneliani at a scant $90 which I could get another 20% off.
Id look into virtual clotheshorse to, SF affiliate. Lace posts on B&S on occation. Think Truzzi & Isaia from STP are good value. Corneliani is nice and @70 a good buy. As well as Barba, But not impressed with Borelli and have a sneaky suspicion that the Attolin is older stock ...

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Any other comments please?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Kent Wang/Thick as Thieves?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I'd say Barba then Truzzi for you. The problem with a lot of the stuff is that it varies from model to model. I have some Borrelli shirts that fit like a tent others than are super slim. Check to make sure what you are getting into before buying.

Borelli for Nieman's is very tent-like. No comparison to the regular Italian cut Borelli's.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you have some weight around belly, don't buy North American store labeled Borrelli (i.e NM) shirts as they fit like tent. Sadly, most Borrelli shirts that are available online are those baggy fitted ones. Barba shirts fit more slim in general, but they are not as soft as Borrelli shirts, IMO.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Babra gold label gives you a great, slim fit and killer fabrics.

timeless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Babra gold label gives you a great, slim fit and killer fabrics.
+1 but hard to find...Ian at shopthefinest has some black label barba that are also very slim.

Swededude

Reaction score
Once I ordered a Corneliani from STP. It was totally unlike the ones I've bought here in Europe, fit was too baggy (and it shrunk after some washes so the sleeves became too short) and plastic buttons instead of the MOP that the European ones has. I was very disappointed to say the least. It is not easy to judge by the picture but it sure looks like that one linked in the original post has the same type of buttons. On the other hand, it is not sure. Maybe mine was a one-off.

Material Boy

Reaction score
From your own description (16.5 collar, Sz 38 waist), do NOT buy Barba. Barba shirts are designed for slim people with high collar. If you do not have a long neck, you will NOT look good with a Barba shirt. It really doesn't matter if Barba is the best value shirts of the four brands you named.

I am a regular shopper at ShopTheFinest, and trust me, Attolini is the best shirt you can buy.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. What's the return policy at shop the finest and virtual clothes horse? I know STP's is good as I have bought a few things from them but I'm in the UK so I'll probably have to experiment a little to find the brand/cut that fits best.

What's the cut of the shop the finest Attolini like?

Edit - scrap the question on returns, I've just looked it up. Not sure I like the idea of a restocking fee, but such is life.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a great question, thanks Tb for asking it. For us larger folke (18.5-19.0/36) is Attolini still a good choice? I've picked up a couple of Neiman Borrelli shirts off eBay that have a great fit and fabulous fabric. I'd like to find a few more options that I can look for in the bargain bin.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bout 5 Truzzi shirts I bought 3 years ago and was and wear them all the time. They wear like iron and look great. They last.

All Truzzi shirts I have ever tried on are rather full.

Borrelli varies from baggy to skin tight depending upon the cut so be sure to get measurements.

NinthCircle

Reaction score
Shop The Finest lists the actual dimensions of each shirt so you know ahead of time if the shirt will fit. I've gotten some real dogs from STP.
I've gotten about half a dozen Barba shirts from Shop The Finest and they are all winners. And they fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads