• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Shirt and Tie Should I Wear?

Which shirt?

• Blue

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • White

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a new suit - for FREE!!! - to wear to a wedding in two weeks. Need help choosing the right shirt and tie. I do also have a grey shirt, but I prefer the blue or white under this suit. And yes, I know the white shirt collar needs to be pressed. Please try to do your best with the poor quality photos - took them with my webcam

The full picture - please excuse the weird posture and expression from holding the mouse and trying to make sure I didn't move the cursor while I framed the shot.

Deep red with gold lattice pattern:

Blue on Blue on Blue pattern - not really sure what to call it:

Beige with white horizontal stripes:

Purple and blue plaid:

Lavender plaid:

Red with white pick and pick:

Silver with black and silver stripe:

Solid charcoal (wool):

Dark grey with black and silver stripe:

Silver with red stripe:

Black & Red Plaid:

So, votes?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In no particular order:

1.Deep red and gold
2.Dark gray black and silver
3.Black and red plaid- Is the tie that narrow ?, or is it not hanging staight?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be too picky....but the lighting is so lousy and photo quality is so poor, it it hard to get a good read on it!

I would like a paler blue shirt....that one seems too dark.

The lavender plaid would be good with a white shirt I think...

I don't think a wool tie works with this slick suit.

I think the beige with horizontal stripe works....again, hard to tell with the ****** lighting.

I think the silver tie with the black stripes could be pretty good too.

The grey with silver might work with a white shirt...but again, hard to tell with lighting.

You don't know what to call the blue-on-blue pattern? How about "ugly?" LOL I am guessing it is the oldest tie in your closet.

The red and gold lattice...not sure how it looks in real life, but from the photos it seems pretty loud.

Have you thought about a medium-spread collar? I think that would help keep the collar points inside the vest. It seems these collars are a bit tall....how much is showing above the line of the lapel in the back?

Last edited:

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes it's that narrow.  Usually wear it with a vintage 60's sport coat, but thought it might work with the 2.5" lapels.

That tie is pretty out there...I could see it working with a vintage sport coat, but no way can that work with a slick, formal three-piece suit.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I agree. Collar points which end up outside the vest is not a look I like. (I wear mostly three-piece suits.)

Cheers,

Ac

manchambo

Reaction score
I agree. Collar points which end up outside the vest is not a look I like. (I wear mostly three-piece suits.)

Cheers,

Ac
I agree that a wider spread would be better, but it would help considerably just to get them to lay correctly. Some are shockingly bad. Are you using stays?

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a weird posture in all of those pictures, sticking my chest out, to get an angle in that bad light where you can see the shirts and ties. That's why the points on the blue one are sticking out into the air. The white shirt needs to be pressed badly, and doesn't particularly fit (bought it at Winners for $15 or something because I needed a white shirt in a hurry). If I wear a white shirt, I'll buy a new one, since I need a couple of white shirts anyway. More likely, though, I'll wear the blue, since I'd rather not buy a shirt this week.

Anyway, I will see what I can manage about the collar itself - I do have a tone on tone grey shirt with a medium spread. I think it would look ok, but not great, with the suit.

MrDaniels - the red/gold lattice was one of your favourites for my morning dress :p

Here's all the ties, in better lighting, so you can actually see the patterns and colours properly.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that a wider spread would be better, but it would help considerably just to get them to lay correctly. Some are shockingly bad. Are you using stays?

Are you asking me or the original poster?

I have no problem with getting the points positioned properly. It's mostly a question of getting a long enough point length. How long that needs to be depends on the angle of the collar: a very wide spread doesn't need to be as long as a medium spread needs to be, all other factors being equal.

I also have tab collar shirts in my rotation and the question doesn't arise with these, of course. I usually wear one one day a week.

Cheers,

Tim

P.s.: Sometimes I use stays, sometimes I don't. It depends on the shirt.

Last edited:

Off My Rack

Reaction score
That's a pretty terrible assortment of ties. Seems like you may want to start revamping your tie collection in a hurry.

On another note, please tell me that you do not store your ties pre-tied like that. If so, I'm glad you only use cheap beater ties.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty terrible assortment of ties. Seems like you may want to start revamping your tie collection in a hurry.

On another note, please tell me that you do not store your ties pre-tied like that. If so, I'm glad you only use cheap beater ties.

Nope just too lazy to untie them last night, since I was taking them on and off so frequently. Side note, not really useful to just say "go get new ties." Actual suggestions are much more helpful.

Last edited:

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the constructive thing to say would be, "You are really upping your game with your new suits, it's probably a good idea to bring your ties up to that level too."

I say, go buy yourself a great new tie to go with the suit.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the constructive thing to say would be, "You are really upping your game with your new suits, it's probably a good idea to bring your ties up to that level too."

I say, go buy yourself a great new tie to go with the suit.

But what tie? And... buying a new tie really isn't on the docket this month. I'm leaning toward the beige tie with the blue shirt at the moment, or maybe a new white shirt and the dark grey striped tie.

Unless someone can point me at some great sales in Vancouver?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads