• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shade of shoe polish

luxperpetua

Reaction score
I got myself a pair of Meermin burgundy cap toe Oxfords as pictured below. I’m wondering which Saphir Medaulle d’Or color would best fit them?

My impression is that Saphirs burgundy seems darker than the shoe, and I’d hate to lose the reddish tint as I already have a fair amount of simply brown shoes.

2D91B754-B22F-4196-A4C6-7AE066EF1957.jpeg

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mix and match. I even use black and blue....honestly, try it!

Chowkin

Reaction score
Hermes Red if you would like to retain the red tint

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bordeaux is purple, not brown, so it would work fine here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have the shoes in possession or are you awaiting the shipment. Pics online can look much different than the actual product.

Also, if they are new, why worry about polish or cream now? Brush them and wear them. Let the leather break in a bit. The color will change a bit over time due to oxidation anyway. If you’re truly worried about the tint, just use a neutral Cream.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have the shoes in possession or are you awaiting the shipment. Pics online can look much different than the actual product.

Also, if they are new, why worry about polish or cream now? Brush them and wear them. Let the leather break in a bit. The color will change a bit over time due to oxidation anyway. If you’re truly worried about the tint, just use a neutral Cream.

You ought to always polish a new pair of shoes before wearing. Polish protects the leather and makes the shoe look better substantially.

You're right on the neutral if you really want to keep the colour.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You ought to always polish a new pair of shoes before wearing. Polish protects the leather and makes the shoe look better substantially.

You're right on the neutral if you really want to keep the colour.

I respectfully disagree. The shoes already come treated from the factory. I’ve never pre treated a pair of shoes and have had no issues whatsoever. Suede is a different matter, but not calfskin.

I’ll usually wear 10-12 times (intermittent schedule of course) and then apply a color matched or neutral cream.

Goofy

Reaction score
Neutral will dilute the color over time. Every time a shoe is polished with neutral a certain amount of its color is romoved.

The purpose of polishing a new shoe is to condition the leather and to create a protective layer by the application of waxes. The wax layer actually protects against scratches and scuffs.

luxperpetua

Reaction score

I realize there are diverging opinions on this, but I like to give new shoes a polish before first wear. You never know how long they might have been in their boxes and I like to think it nurtures the leather.

Here’s a picture of these shoes side-by-side with my other addition.

97232128-11DA-486C-BDD4-9851F4CF8217.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with applying a conditioning cream out of the box. Just my preference.

the shoes above look much different than what you posted. I think burgundy would work. Apply it and buff it well. I think you’ll find that it won’t cover up red as much as you think. I’ve used it, and though it looks darker in the jar, once applied and buffed well, it won’t appear as such.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. The shoes already come treated from the factory. I’ve never pre treated a pair of shoes and have had no issues whatsoever. Suede is a different matter, but not calfskin.

I’ll usually wear 10-12 times (intermittent schedule of course) and then apply a color matched or neutral cream.

There are certainly two schools of thought on this, but the protection and nourishment cream and wax provide is exactly what I want my new shoes to have. I want my new shoes to remain looking new: to not show signs of wear prematurely, because I have treated them well from the start.

A scratch on a surface of wax is really no problem at all: I can go take a brush and fix it in 5 minutes. A scratch on the bare finish, and I might need to do something as drastic as get them dyed if I can't cover it with cream polish. On any pair of shoes I want to look their best--which is every shoe I own, even the crappy weather ones, the "go out to the garbage" ones, etc--I want to try to keep them looking presentable.

It's somewhat similar to a phone. Can you use your phone without a case? Sure, but you are soon to damage it. Placing the case before the damage prevents the damage, whereas afterwards is just a patch job.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Mahogany and really like it - still keeps red but not too much purple. On the preference side I like wax as well vs cream. Just better protection for scuffs. I also prefer to apply before wearing. Great on my oxbloods and burgundy horse hides

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads