• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Rolex?

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Any Rolex is ostentatious. Some are more than others. Rolex is a status symbol, not a truly fine watch. There are definitely merits to Rolex, including their incredible marketing and control of their distribution which both help to maintain the value of their watches.

Why are you so set on buying a Rolex?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The platinum DJ are terrific but I'm drawn to the Sea Dweller. I like the lack of a "cyclops" in the date function and the classic style. Hold resale value well also.

You might check out John Brozek's Rolex Report for additional information. It's a fascinating read. Jim Dowling's book is also good.

If you can go to $7,800 the Yachtmaster is really beautiful.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Rolex is a status symbol, not a truly fine watch.
That's rubbish Don. Rolex movements are very fine and more durable than many of the boutique movements.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always liked the classic Rolex Oyster model with the smooth bezel.
015.jpg
Incidentally, some older Rolex models can be had for quite cheap, under a $1000.

DeSica

Reaction score
If you're a serious diver, or have some egotistical need, buy the submariner. If you want a watch that you can pull off casually as well as with a suit, then a mid-size datejust is ok.

I happen to love rolex watches, and keep kicking myself for not picking one up every time I did have the spare cash. As soon as i have an exra $7k Canadian, I'm getting a Cellini Danaos.

Pundit

Reaction score
I have had a mid-size two tone DJ for decades and find it to be a very flexible wearer. The Sub (as does the DJ) screams Rolex, but is also a larger watch than the mid-size -- I like smaller watches, thus my choice. I might suggest you look at an Explorer I, size-wise it's between the two watches you're considering, no date, smooth bezel and a black face. It is a classic Rolex yet does not scream its presence.

DuncanM

Reaction score
I would say take your time and pick the watch that speaks to you. Personally, of those choices I would go with the datejust. It is just much more flexible than the SD. Either way, despite what the haters say, they are excellent watches.

singlechange

Reaction score
Personally, I'd go for the Explorer model though I've owned the steel and white gold Datejust for a number of years. Most watch enthusiasts have mostly likely owned a Rolex at one time in their lives and if you are a Timezone member you already know a great deal about fine timepieces. I ratify your choice of the Datejust and say go for it. Even if you decide later after owning it for a while to let it go you will not lose much of its value as preowned ones will always be sought after. I went from a Rolex to a Blancpain chrono, then to Lange Saxonia and later to Patek and finally settled on some nice vintage manual wind timepieces.

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
That's rubbish Don. Rolex movements are very fine and more durable than many of the boutique movements.

What are examples?

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall an article on web about how ugly the Explorer I mechanics were.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would stay away from mid-size. You will look like you are wearing a girl's watch. I also am not a huge fan of the lines on the latest DJ series case, and the fact that they all have polished center links now. If I were buying a Rolex, I would buy either the Explorer I or the new-style DJ Turn-O-Graph. The Explorer I loo,s almost exactly like an older DJ, but w/o a date, and with a much better clasp. The TOG is nice because it is a bit sportier than the rest of the DJ line, with a red second hand and rotating white gold bezel.

Personally, I am not a Sub fan, as it is a bit too clunky looking for my liking. And while I say if you love a Rolex then go buy it, I would also say take a look at a Breitling, and here's why: I've had a number of Jewelers tell me "it's the new Rolex," in that it's begun to take Rolex's place in that luxury/status market, and if you want that type of watch becayse "you can," it might be worth considering. But if it's really a Rolex you want, even a gold lady DJ with rubies, lol, then don't let anyone talk you out of it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Goldstein
What are examples?
This is a scenario that has played itself out before. Artisan Fan has a Rolex. likes them, has read up on them and believes that the movements are excellent. Others disagree. They go back and forth. IMO, both sides go too far. Rolex makes a fine watch that is reliable and appeals to the aesthetic sensibilities of some. It is also a status symbol. Many people seem unable to comprehend any point but the last. Rolex movements are kind of crappily finished and are not beautiful or cutting-edge in any way. Artisan Fan would not accept this rather well acknowledged fact.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This is a scenario that has played itself out before. Artisan Fan has a Rolex. likes them, has read up on them and believes that the movements are excellent. Others disagree. They go back and forth.

IMO, both sides go too far. Rolex makes a fine watch that is reliable and appeals to the aesthetic sensibilities of some. It is also a status symbol. Many people seem unable to comprehend any point but the last. Rolex movements are kind of crappily finished and are not beautiful or cutting-edge in any way. Artisan Fan would not accept this rather well acknowledged fact.

He's right regarding their durability. You will be hard pressed to fine a mechanical movement that is more robust. However, most are at about the same level today. There was a time, though, when one needed a Rolex in order to have this. That time has now passed. But, for those who enjoy the brand's historical significance, status symbols aside, there's still no substitute.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads