• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which repro? (dark, durable, smooth)

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which repro should I be looking at, if I want something straight, moderately (but not overly) slim, and dark that will hold its color well. I like the deep indigo color of dry denim and am not really interested in how they fade, I rotate jeans fairly frequently so that they hold their color. I also want something fairly smooth and not overly slubby, and also don't want something with an extremely high rise.

I was thinking SDA-103 or maybe one of the Canes, but they seem to have a really high rise on average (13") according to BIG. What else should I be considering? I was looking at some of the Samurais but they seem to be pretty slubby, although they are reputed to hold their color well?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
canes 1945. sounds like exactly what you ae looking for. the denim is smooth and if you dont beat them up they stay dark.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Samurai S5000VX would fit the description perfectly except they are petty slubby.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking about the Canes 1945 from History Preservation, and also the one wash ones that are on BiG. Do the one wash fit pretty close to size?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd recommend the SD-103 instead of the Canes unless you really prefer that Lee style repro. The SD-103 is a smooth, tightly woven, very dark denim and a slim, low rise fit. I'd say the Canes are more of a regular rise, which is fine for CMF because he's a skinny dude, but I wouldn't like it as much and I suspect you wouldn't either.

Ott

Reaction score
SD-003.

Same fit as 103, only with left hand denim (which also fades slower IIRC) and a grey coloured weft. Very unique looking and absolutely gorgeous material.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott
SD-003.

Same fit as 103, only with left hand denim (which also fades slower IIRC) and a grey coloured weft. Very unique looking and absolutely gorgeous material.

What do you mean by grey colored weft?

Ott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
What do you mean by grey colored weft?
from the denim terminology thread:
Weft (Filler) Thread Weft, or filler, threads are traditionally ecru-colored, however many companies now bleach their weft threads or dye them. The weft is visible mostly on the underside of the denim, but resemble diagonal stripes on the surface. They are woven in and out of the warp threads horizontally to create the denim twill.
The weft threads are the ones that aren't dyed with indigo. On the 003, they're grey coloured. You probably won't get really dramatic fades with these jeans.. both because the grey weft doesn't allow as much contrast, and the LH denim fades much slower. But its worth it imo, they're incredibly unique. link also there's some more pictures on repeattofade

Coulomb

Reaction score
i have a pair of the 1947 Sugar Cane repro's. It's left-hand twill with very dark indigo. The left-hand denim is soft and not slubby at all, it's also a little stretchier than your regular right-hand twill.

I got mine off of ebay for 190 shipped.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, I ordered the SD-103s in one wash, we'll see how they work out
smile.gif

dizzhizz

Reaction score
I second the Samurais S5000 because those are one tough motha F***ers and color retention should hold quite well!

nemuu

Reaction score
I can vouch for Skull 5507XX. Dark as hell, one-wash so no shrinking worry needed, will fade pretty slowly, sturdy as hell yet not stiff. Slim but not but skinny. 185 bucks shipped, company speaks excellent English and has terrific service, returns accepted. Fabfour.co.jp!
DSCN5097.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads