1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Which product to soften leather footwear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imhotep, Apr 17, 2009.

1. imhotep

imhotep Senior Member

I recently bought a new pair of collection privee boots. Although the inside leather is soft, the outer leather is uncomfortable tough. I am not sure what the reason is, perhaps from the weathering treatment. They are a distressed medium tan in color, so not dark.

What is the best way to soften them? Treat them with something and just wear them in? I have heard of mink oil, neatsfoot oil, saddle soap, and 50/50 isopropyl alcohol/water. Not sure which is best for this scenario.

2. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Distinguished Member

I'd use leather conditioner (such as Lexol). It may darken the leather a little. Mink oil or neatsfoot oil might help too -- and also might darken the leather. Saddle soap and alcohol will not soften leather -- they will dry it out. If time permits, apply a few light coats over a couple of days.

3. wetnose

wetnose Distinguished Member

I've found that 2 or 3 rubbed in applications of RM Williams Saddle Dressing really makes the leather pliable. Depends on the leather though. Leaves no residue and does not darken your leather. Yummy smell too.

You can order a small amount from australianboot.com or you can also try Lexol's leather conditioner...although I have no experience with that. I believe it's used by members who do the antiquing thing for their shoes though. Lexol is also sold online or at Novelty shoe rebuilders in Toronto.

4. instep

instep Senior Member

I use Saphir's Renovateur. Darkens it up a little, but softens leather beautifully.

5. imhotep

imhotep Senior Member

thanks for the responses. forgot to mention that, ideally, i would like to not darken them.

also here is a pic, so you can see the leather and color. the leather is as dry and tough as it looks.
    [​IMG]

6. stevecoltharp

stevecoltharp New Member