• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which pocket square / tie to wear?

craighopper87

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I've got a Xmas party this weekend (early I know) and I want to wear my light grey suit but I'm not sure what shirt/tie/pocket square combo to wear with it. I'm thinking of a sky blue / light blue shirt and navy tie but I've never worn a pocket square so wouldn't know how to match that.

Also, are brown shoes acceptable with a grey suit?

Any alternative suggestions will be considered too :)

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you can wear a plain white square with this fit just fine.

Assuming the party is in the evening? Black shoes if you have them. Always black shoes for dressy evening occasions. (Unless you have some really special shoes in some color other than plain old brown (something in burgandy, cherry, patent leather, etc. etc.)

Brown shoes just like you came from a business meeting.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Lots of pics here with ideas. But when in doubt wear a white linen pocket square. It always looks crisp and sharp. Once you get used to wearing a PS then you can try coordinating your tie, PS and shirt, etc. But for now a white will be classic and look great.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/228536/...on-thread-questions-opinions-suggestions/0_30

+1 on starting off with white. Also I'd suggest to buy pocket squares (and anything really) slowly (like 3 or so at a time). You have to get used to how to wear them and the role they play in your fits before you realize which ones you need and which ones you like. If you buy a bunch at once then you're likely to end up with 15 squares, of which you only really wear 3.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1 on starting off with white. Also I'd suggest to buy pocket squares (and anything really) slowly (like 3 or so at a time). You have to get used to how to wear them and the role they play in your fits before you realize which ones you need and which ones you like. If you buy a bunch at once then you're likely to end up with 15 squares, of which you only really wear 3.

+1

When I first started I had one white and one burgundy with navy trim. Those two went with just about everything.

I like to buy a PS when I have my jacket and tie with me. Too many guys (I did this many times in the past myself) buy a PS because it's cool but then force it to try and work with what they own. That rarely works.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I like to buy a PS when I have my jacket and tie with me. Too many guys (I did this many times in the past myself) buy a PS because it's cool but then force it to try and work with what they own. That rarely works.

Definitely. I find the same with ties. This is why it's such a huge advantage to do bespoke and get a bunch of swatch sets from Hober and put them up next to all your jackets before making a decision. I, at least, was really surprised by how slight changes in texture or color make a huge difference (at least to my eye) in the attractiveness of a combination. For instance, they have a navy and a dark navy, and a wide and fine weave for grenadines. I started off by getting a navy in the wide weave, which is fabulous with some jackets, but for other jackets, the fine weave is really much much better. Just looking at pictures or even the swatches themselves without putting them next to the jackets, it's hard to anticipate there would be that big a difference. At first I felt silly getting two ties that on the surface are quite similar, being both navy grenadines, but actually I think in diversifying your wardrobe and being able to create a lot of successful looks, you'll be much better off with 4 navy ties of varying intensity and texture than trying to get one of every color just for diversity's sake. Same goes for pocket squares. But again, wait until you have the eye and understanding of what textures and shades go with others before you go crazy buying a bunch of squares or ties. I know it's tempting to jump on some great deals you see on B&S or some really gorgeous looking fabric you see at Drakes, but be patient.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads