1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which place is a must see in London and NYC.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Apr 26, 2005.

1. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Must throw in a plug for William and Son. William Asprey is the scion of the family and left the family firm after his father sold out to the Sultan of Brunei. Cool accessories and such. Also, Patrick Mavros opened a store recently. He's a great silversmith and his pieces make wonderful housegifts

2. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Didn't know there were outlets in Bicester. Used to take the Bicester flyway when I was dating a girl whose family estate was near Stow. What ones were there? Only good outlet I found was Partridge in Galloway near Stornoch on the proper side of the border. Used to stop there on the way to one of my favorite country auction houses.

3. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

My jet-lagged memories of the arcade are that it is "Princes."

BTW, a little off the track of Savile Row, but not far from Jermyn Street is Longmire cufflinks. They are some of the rudest people you will ever meet in London retail, but they offer a lovely (if overpriced) collection. A good chunk of it is pictured online, but it is fun to see in person.

4. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris

5. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

John Rushton's shoe shop on Wimpole Street is worth a visit if you are after a bargain, and he is quite a character too.

I would pop into Penhaligons in one of the arcades off Jermyn Street for some cologne.

Harvie & Hudson in 2 locations on Jermyn Street do a good deal if you buy 3 shirts and would definitely be on my list.

Ede & Ravenscroft for beautiful ties, Cordings for a nice tattersall shirt, Taylor's for a badger brush and Trumpers for rose shaving soap and lime cologne.

6. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

I lived in london for four years and revisited it recently. Yes the chocolate truffles at Fortnum and Mason are AMAZING. Unparalled. At the back of F&M is Jermyn st. Forget drooling on the shirts and go to paxtons for the cheese. Get some bread too, (you already got liquid refreshment of choice at Fortnums, Yes??) Walk across to St James Church, or some other place with steps/bench to sit and enjoy a faboooolus meal. Be adventurous and try some amazing cheeses from Paxtons. -

7. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Of course, if that selection is too limiting, there is Berry Bros & Rudd just around the corner on St. James.

8. Matt

Matt Senior member

Darren Beaman has something of a standing offer to AA/SF members to tour his world and the workrooms in which his suits are made (not going thru that crap again...) why not take him up on that, i know youd be interested to see them at work probably cost you a beer though

9. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I visited C&J and EG yesterday in Burlington Arcade. I am sold on the fit and superior antiquing of EG, but I could not get myself to pull the trigger at 400 pounds plus. It was interesting to note that C&J's people were trying to convince me to get a pair, whereas EG's people ( I was served by an older gentleman) fitted me but did not really "sell" me anything. Perhaps they thought I am a lost cause because I was wearing a pair of Santonis that are Blake stitched. He did make a comment that my shoes are "fashion shoes" [​IMG] After I tried on the Greens, my Santonis really felt flimsy and lacked support. C&Js Handgrades are great value though from PLAL, IMHO. Oh, I saw some Trickers also, but did not like their lasts.

10. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I forgot to add that some small shops in London, like Pickett, are a little snooty when it comes to service. It's not that they don't serve, just that they seem so unwilling to do so. It is something that I am not used to. Other small shops, like Swaine Adeney and JM Weston, are very helpful and happy at it. I would stick my neck out to generalize that the younger attendants tend to be more helpful and friendlier compared to the ones in mid-life and above. Off to the larger stores later today [​IMG]

11. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

Budd is about as small as you can get and I found the staff there the most helpful, friendly and generally just damn well nice of any I have experienced.

The staff at the nearby Benson & Clegg acted as the perfect anti-Budd, so normality was resumed.

12. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Benson & Clegg was mean? What a letdown.