• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which pair would you wear?

McAllister in Merlot or Fairfax in Chili?

• McAllister

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Fairfax

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

adiadk

Reaction score
I've a dilemma. I can't settle on the shoes I should be wearing with my charcoal suit.

I'm 30 years old, work in a creative environment, 5' 9", 155 lb.

I've been teetering for days between the AE McAllister in Merlot and the AE Fairfax in Chili. Both seem to work well from a color standpoint -- each creating a slightly different feel (a bit more serious vs. a bit more relaxed for the latter).

Traditionally I lean towards casual but I am looking for guidance.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabric of the suit will play into consideration here.

And I still do not get the obsession with light brown shoes with dark suits; your shoes should be the anchor of your dress.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds McAllister in Merlot

Allen Edmonds Fairfax in Chili (or is this photo the Chestnut, I can't tell)

With a dark Charcoal Grey suit, Merlot over Chili, so in your case, the McAllister.
With a medium or light Grey suit, wear the Fairfax.
The Fairfax, being a wholecut is (arguably) dressier but I fear the broguing takes away from this though the 'penis and balls' medallion is fun. The McAllister is, at least to my eyes, the more reliably dressier shoe, especially in Merlot or Black.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited:

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ManofLint said it best, but I wanted to chip in that I agree. Merlot would look much nicer with charcoal.

adiadk

Reaction score
Man of Lint, Texastyle, thank you. Y'all are saving me. I'm dying at the "penis and balls" association. Will never be able to look at that shoe the same again.

I think the photo of the Fairfax posed by Man of Lint is the Chestnut -- the Chili has more of a red tone than yellow like the Chestnut.

I wanted to wait until I had my pants back from the tailor before I posted a photo, but I couldn't wait. Here is a photo showing (my skinny ankles) and the McAllisters in Merlot on my left foot and the Fairfaxes in Chili on my right foot. The pants are old and not in rotation any longer but the color of them is close (these pants have a slight herringbone pattern -- the ones I would be wearing do not). Of course the flash unrealistically brightens everything up (the Chili is redder in person -- which was my initial draw to them and why I thought they went well with the charcoal), but you all have seen these before.

Any further thoughts after seeing the photos?

I guess my gut says I prefer the Fairfaxes -- but that is just from a "comfort-zone" level -- not necessarily what is correct.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Fairfax in Merlot not a possible option? I know nothing about AE shoes so I have no idea what they offer.

The design of the Fairfax is sleeker and in my opinion more suitable to a creative environment. I work in architecture/interior design and the only people I encounter wearing styles such as the McAlister would be the bankers/finance men, NOT the creatives. And I've been in the business since you were born.

However, I think the color on those Fairfaxes is just too light for a charcoal suit.

My honest opinion would be to go back and look again at what's available. Unless, of course, when looking around at your peers and bosses you see that others are wearing full brogues such as the McAlister.

adiadk

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think the Fairfax is discontinued and I'm not even sure if it was ever made in Merlot so finding them previously worm may be challenging.

I'm with you on the overall feel that the Farifaxes work better in the fields we're in -- another reason I lean towards them.

Sigh. Sounds like I need to keep looking.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fairfax was offered in chili (burgundy) some time ago. You may still be able to find a pair.

Last edited:

adiadk

Reaction score
NORE -- thanks. The Fairfaxes I have are actually Chili...or they claim to be : )

Perhaps AE's "Chili" changed over the years?

I think the camera's flash in my comparison photos above may be misrepresenting the true color...hmmm.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still really like the McAllister in merlot. I tried to do the brown with charcoal thing with my pair of walnut strands, but it just seems a little off to me. Merlot just seems to go with the darker grey better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics