1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

which one is the eyesore?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by matadorpoeta, Aug 12, 2007.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Because all of his neighbors live in stucco homes built in the spanish or mission style. Mr. Prince's UFO is clearly visible from the sidewalk and street, and uh... is rather conspicuous in it's uniqueness.

Knowing what kind of stuff stupid people bitch about, I wouldn't be surprised at all if sometime in the past 20 years or so nobody had complained.

Here's a google map view of his neighborhood.

If I had to drive by that every day I'd probably find a way to burn it down.

2. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

[​IMG]

Thats actually a pretty unique house but the garage door looks completely out of place.

3. jakejake

jakejake Senior member

How come you guys don't like houses with garage? Where are you going to park your M-Benz? I've seen every new house now has a garage built-in.

4. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

How come you guys don't like houses with garage? Where are you going to park your M-Benz? I've seen every new house now has a garage built-in.

Garages themselves are good. Garages as the most conspicuous architectural feature are ugly in the extreme.

5. Nantucket Red

[​IMG]

That is bizarrely misproportioned!

6. doink

doink Senior member

Google "snout house" and you'll see why garages on the front of a house are bad. They also consume area for landscaping, and remove eyes on the street.

[​IMG]

7. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I've lived in two houses. One had an unattached garage, set in the back yard. My current address has a garage 'to the side,' attached. If I had my choice, I'd go with an unattached garage. It's convenient to have a garage handy, but fumes, extra dirt and grime, and open doors spoiling the facade of our home are factors we've had to deal with. Attached garages are often built with doors to the side; our lot wasn't large enough for that touch.
    This is what I'd call a beautiful house. From the Depression era, built by Italian craftsmen, as stylish today as it was in the 'twenties.
    [​IMG]

8. Nantucket Red

The houses I've lived in have had the garage in back. The garages have always been quite large, and one was actually a barn.

9. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

The town I live in actually has an ordinance that your house has to have a garage (though, it doesn't have to be attached).

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

The town I live in actually has an ordinance that your house has to have a garage (though, it doesn't have to be attached).

what's the logic behind it?

11. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

what's the logic behind it?

Not sure exactly, but I think it has something to do with keeping the streets free from parked cars. Though, a driveway would accomplish this just as well as a garage, so, I really don't know. Of course, it's possible that there really is no actual logic behind it at all.

12. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

I find 99% of US houses extremely ugly. Most of them would be considered a poor people country cottage in Europe and not a well built at that.
    I lived in many old (80-100 y.o.) houses in US as well as owned a few new constructions and all of them old or new were made by retarded, blind children with hands growing out of their asses.
    The only explanation I have is that Americans are essentially a nation of nomads without permanent home, thus they consider every house as temporary.

13. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I find 99% of US houses extremely ugly. Most of them would be considered a poor people country cottage in Europe and not a well built at that.
    I lived in many old (80-100 y.o.) houses in US as well as owned a few new constructions and all of them old or new were made by retarded, blind children with hands growing out of their asses.
    The only explanation I have is that Americans are essentially a nation of nomads without permanent home, thus they consider every house as temporary.

I think there is some truth to this, althouth it's a bit of an overexageration. Back in the old country, a house would be built so that many generations could live there. It would be built out of brick and mortar with clay roofing tiles. There would be no wood or drywall used in building the house. Here in America, kids generally want to buy their own house at some point and do not want to live in the house that their parents lived in. So, houses are built kind of cheap.

The upshot is that everyone can own their own house and live on their own at some point. That, after all, is the American dream.

Also, the way American houses are constructed makes them pretty sturdy. It also makes them much easier to repair. It's a lot easier to patch up drywall, then to repear a crack in a brick/stucco wall.

14. Mike

Mike Senior member

Personally I have no problem with attached garages. We get a fair ammount of snow here, and its nice not having to walk across the yard to go start the car, not to mention if its recessed in the ayrd you have to fence the yard off, and have to open a gate to go in and out {at least I would as I have a dog that I don't want to wander the neighborhood}.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Personally I have no problem with attached garages. We get a fair ammount of snow here, and its nice not having to walk across the yard to go start the car, not to mention if its recessed in the ayrd you have to fence the yard off, and have to open a gate to go in and out {at least I would as I have a dog that I don't want to wander the neighborhood}.

I don't think anyone is complaining about attached garages except in the case where they make-up 2/3 of the front of the house. Imo, Side-entry garages are much more attractive, in general. It's a money issue though. For side-entry you need a lot that's big enough, and many people just can't afford to buy anything other than the standard house pictured above.

16. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

The upshot is that everyone can own their own house and live on their own at some point. That, after all, is the American dream.
    odoreater, I'm not sure everyone in America will be able to own their own home. Many people will be lucky to scrape together a down payment. But I understand your sentiment.

17. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I wouldn`t complain too much about the housing in America.

The following are examples of the average, typical houses in Japan:

This one is the most typical example I could find quickly. The lot size, and the way the design has no direction is what you see all over the place. You won`t see many garages in average Japanese homes. They park their cars in the little empty space in front of the house. This house has parking for 3 cars [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here`s a typical example of a cheapo modern house. There are really a lot of modern design houses in Japan, but they are mostly cheap, ugly attempts. Modern is very popular in Japan and you see it all over the place, much more than in America.

[​IMG]

Of course there are some nice designs (old and modern) in more wealthy neighborhoods, but the above are just examples of the very average, middle income home.

18. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Do you have to get 70-year mortgage to finance this atrocity?[​IMG]

19. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

odoreater, I'm not sure everyone in America will be able to own their own home. Many people will be lucky to scrape together a down payment. But I understand your sentiment.

I think that the main part of the problem (price to value ratio in housing) is the fact that banks don't ask for enough down payment from potential buyers. Thus, prices allowed to be ballooned to ridiculous proportions and quality is not a top concern, since you can get as much virtual money form the bank as speculators want.

20. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Do you have to get 70-year mortgage to finance this atrocity?[​IMG]

Actually, Yes!

In the past 30 years was typical, but now people are signing up for mortgages that are paid throughout 2 generations. In other words, the father buys the house and the family/son continues to pay off the mortgage way beyond 30 years.

Of course, this system is more popular in a country like Japan where many generations live in the same house, even at the same time (like grandfather, father, son`s family)