Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

which one is the eyesore?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by matadorpoeta, Aug 12, 2007.

1. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

They are both ugly. I lived a couple blocks from Bart Prince's house in Albuquerque. I was too young to to care, but I'm sure his neighbors bitched.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it because it looks like babies go there to die. Not child-proof. at. all.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

This looks like the side of the Nautilus, aka, my dream house.

The Nautilus was my first thought too. And this one ...

[​IMG]

... reminds me of the Millenium Falcon.

3. rubylith

rubylith Active Member

They are both ugly. I lived a couple blocks from Bart Prince's house in Albuquerque. I was too young to to care, but I'm sure his neighbors bitched.
    Oh my god, I remember that house (I lived in ABQ as a kid too). Yeah, a lot of people hated it at the time. When did that stone tower go up, I wonder? He should have made it out of wood or metal instead.

4. doink

doink Senior member

As an urban planner, who specializes in heritage preservation and built form and who works for a very fast growing suburban municipality, next to Toronto, I have to explain to people why the houses to the left are the "POS" not the house to the right.

For interesting rants on this subject check out

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore.html

In reviewing architecture it is important to try and appreciate the skill and thought that goes into design as well as the ultimate form of the building. There are tonnes of buildings I don't like, but I can appreciate the skill of the execution.

I appreciate and somewhat like the building shown from Albuquerque. Would I want to see an entire development of them, no.

5. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

As an urban planner, who specializes in heritage preservation and built form and who works for a very fast growing suburban municipality, next to Toronto, I have to explain to people why the houses to the left are the "POS" not the house to the right.

For interesting rants on this subject check out

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore.html

In reviewing architecture it is important to try and appreciate the skill and thought that goes into design as well as the ultimate form of the building. There are tonnes of buildings I don't like, but I can appreciate the skill of the execution.

I appreciate and somewhat like the building shown from Albuquerque. Would I want to see an entire development of them, no.

i live about 10 minutes form the 'previous eyesore':

[​IMG]

in person, it appears to be made of cardboard, as does every other structure i've seen go up in the last few years (except for that metal-spider gas station i posted).

i'm also tired of architects who only think in squares and rectangles, and can't wait for the backlash, but it's taking so long.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Because all of his neighbors live in stucco homes built in the spanish or mission style. Mr. Prince's UFO is clearly visible from the sidewalk and street, and uh... is rather conspicuous in it's uniqueness.

Knowing what kind of stuff stupid people bitch about, I wouldn't be surprised at all if sometime in the past 20 years or so nobody had complained.

Here's a google map view of his neighborhood.

If I had to drive by that every day I'd probably find a way to burn it down.

7. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

[​IMG]

Thats actually a pretty unique house but the garage door looks completely out of place.

8. jakejake

jakejake Senior member

How come you guys don't like houses with garage? Where are you going to park your M-Benz? I've seen every new house now has a garage built-in.

9. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

How come you guys don't like houses with garage? Where are you going to park your M-Benz? I've seen every new house now has a garage built-in.

Garages themselves are good. Garages as the most conspicuous architectural feature are ugly in the extreme.

10. Nantucket Red

[​IMG]

That is bizarrely misproportioned!

11. doink

doink Senior member

Google "snout house" and you'll see why garages on the front of a house are bad. They also consume area for landscaping, and remove eyes on the street.

[​IMG]

12. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I've lived in two houses. One had an unattached garage, set in the back yard. My current address has a garage 'to the side,' attached. If I had my choice, I'd go with an unattached garage. It's convenient to have a garage handy, but fumes, extra dirt and grime, and open doors spoiling the facade of our home are factors we've had to deal with. Attached garages are often built with doors to the side; our lot wasn't large enough for that touch.
    This is what I'd call a beautiful house. From the Depression era, built by Italian craftsmen, as stylish today as it was in the 'twenties.
    [​IMG]

13. Nantucket Red

The houses I've lived in have had the garage in back. The garages have always been quite large, and one was actually a barn.

14. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

The town I live in actually has an ordinance that your house has to have a garage (though, it doesn't have to be attached).

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

The town I live in actually has an ordinance that your house has to have a garage (though, it doesn't have to be attached).

what's the logic behind it?