Which one is higher end: Lacoste Polo or Ralph Lauren Polo?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by baseball_guy, Apr 7, 2010.

1. baseball_guy

baseball_guy Senior member

I agree completely. I'm not particularly tall, but to get the length I need I would need a lacoste polo 2 sizes up

This seems to be the one constant complaint. An extra half inch in the legnth would satisfy many people who like to tuck the polo shirt in. The people who wear it untucked probably love the legnth as it is not too long.

2. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

The people who wear it untucked probably love the legnth as it is not too long.

Yeah, that's how Lacoste polos are supposed to look as far as I'm concerned, a little bit scruffy. That said I'd never ever wear a polo tucked in.

3. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

My vote is for Lacoste for their colour palete, most of mine are at least five years old and they have held up really well and their pique knit feels nicer than POLO after several washes.

I would like to give BB Golden Fleece polos a shot too at some point for comparison.

4. barims

barims Senior member

Based on the colourful 1980s hand-me-downs and the overpriced but usually interesting Junya Watanabe collaborations I own, it could only ever be Lacoste

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Lacoste has more cachet...

Ralph Lauren's products are more adapted to a younger crowd than my current mid-life crisis age bracket.

6. baseball_guy

Lacoste has more cachet...

Ralph Lauren's products are more adapted to a younger crowd than my current mid-life crisis age bracket.

The Lacoste brand has not been watered down by discount stores such as Marshalls. I think many people like RL because it is respectable and affordable. If the younger crowd could afford Lacoste, I think they would pick it over RL. RL is a good stepping stone to Lacoste. Both are nice, but I think Lacoste is superb.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I vote Lacoste (specifically the 'Silver' line) over RL Polos (I own the custom fit ones). I prefer the former because the fabrics are typically nicer and their cut fits me better; RL Polos (at least the custom fit) sleeves tend to run shorter and higher than I prefer.

8. OldSchoolCharm

OldSchoolCharm Senior member

Lacoste is the best polo in terms of quality. Great fabric, mother of pearl buttons and good fits.

PRL have lower quality fabric that looses colour fast and unsightly plastic buttons.

The choice for me is Lacoste. It just makes sense for casual wear and I've replaced my t-shirts by Lacoste polos.

This is all that needs to be said. Bravo.

9. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Senior member

One vote for PRL here, but only if it's the "Big Pony" polo...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

One vote for PRL here, but only if it's the "Big Pony" polo...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OMG...I do sincerely laugh when I do see all these posh teens wearing the biggest logo available on their polo shirts..

It is even better when adults are involved in that brand whoring syndrom..

11. George

George Senior member

My vote goes to Lacoste for the range of colours alone.

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

My vote goes to Lacoste for the range of colours alone.

And the story behind Rene Lacoste is also great...

He used to be nicknamed "The crocodile" by his opponents because of the aggressive style of tennis he used to play.

A great tennis player , man and entrepreneur..

13. franz_sanchez

franz_sanchez Well-Known Member

I went through the same process of replacing t-shirts with polos. I mostly buy Lacoste and Ralph Lauren. I think they are the two best known polos that everyone associates with high end premium quality. Everyone knows the logos. Lacoste has a perception of wealth and success.

Burberry is not well known. Ask 100 random people to identify the logo and most can not.

Abercrombie is associated with young high school aged children. It probably is not a good idea to wear if you're over the age of 20.

Hugo Boss polos is another one that falls in the Burberry category. May be nice, but not many people can identify what it is.

Lacoste probably has the best public perception of expensive and classic. Ralph Lauren comes in a close second.

I know what the Burberry logo is on their shirts. It's a Knight or something like that. I don't have any Locoste Shirts. I have some Polo branded Polo Shirts and they look nice. I also have other polo shirts from Nautica, Ben Sherman, Penguin and Sean Jean and they all look nice.

Nautica makes some nice styled polo shirts even though they are little cheaper than Polo. I got 2 Nautica shirts last year online from Belk and they were only about $10 each. I like how Nautica makes some shirts that have moisture wicking fabric but are mostly Cotton. Most shirts with moisture wicking fabric are 100% polyester and don't feel so nice.

I don't have any Lacoste Polo's though because usually they are more expensive. Lacoste and Polo run about the same price but with Polo branded stuff you can sometimes get a bigger discount. In January I was able to get a $75 Polo Shirt for about $15 at Macy's. I got a Polo Golf Shirt that was worth $85 for around $18. I find with Lacoste Polo shirts usually Macy's doesn't have them much cheaper than $30-40. Plus if you go to places like Marshall's they have plenty of Polo branded stuff but rarely you will any Lacoste. I know I have seen Bugatchi shirt's at Marshall's but no Lacoste stuff.

14. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

John fucking Smedley.

15. baseball_guy

And the story behind Rene Lacoste is also great...

He used to be nicknamed "The crocodile" by his opponents because of the aggressive style of tennis he used to play.

A great tennis player , man and entrepreneur..

7 time grand slam champion. Twice rated the best player in all of tennis.

It is very cool that after his tennis career he was able to do other great things, and not just retire an athlete.