• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which 'off the rack' Suit Jacket fits me better

Cadet133

Reaction score
I normally get them tailored but I have a wedding to attend this friday and dont have time to get it tailored.

The first one is size 44 and the other one is one size above 46. Both are slim fit

Attachments

• PSFix_20210518_192547.jpeg
    PSFix_20210518_192547.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 131
  • PSFix_20210518_192515.jpeg
    PSFix_20210518_192515.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 139

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Neither of those fit you very well, to be honest. But between the two, the 46 is better. I think you might be better off in a different model or at least a size up in that jacket. The whole thing is very tight and short.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Cadet133

Reaction score
Neither of those fit you very well, to be honest. But between the two, the 46 is better. I think you might be better off in a different model or at least a size up in that jacket. The whole thing is very tight and short.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Even the 46 is too tight?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even the 46 is too tight?

I'm afraid so.

PSFix_20210518_192515.jpeg

Some things:

The sleeves are too tight. They look like they're constricting your arm.

The shoulder is a bit lumpy. It should be a cleaner line

The jacket is too short. I've marked where the jacket should roughly end.

The buttoning point is also a little too high. It should be at your natural waist

tumblr_n9w97hMtdD1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

When choosing a suit jacket or sport coat, you should aim:

1. For clean lines. When you see puckering, pulling, or other types of wrinkles, it likely means that the jacket doesn't fit well in that area

2. The jacket should roughly end halfway between your collar and the floor. Most men aren't used to this because they're used to wearing casual jackets, which are much shorter than suit jackets.

3. A clean shoulder line.

4. There shouldn't be divots at the upper part of the sleeve. The sleeve should fall cleanly.

There are some other things, but it's unfortunately too late to get a well-fitting jacket, I'm afraid. If the wedding is on Friday, then you don't really have time to shop for a good jacket and/ or get it altered. Maybe put these notes in a mental file and shop for a better garment for your next event.

You may find this post useful when shopping for a suit or sport coat in the future. It contains links to other articles I've written.

Cadet133

Reaction score
Thanks for the rips. I am muscular so I figured off the rack jackets wont work. A size 48 would mean i would def need to get it tailored down to my physique

papado

Reaction score
Thanks for the rips. I am muscular so I figured off the rack jackets wont work. A size 48 would mean i would def need to get it tailored down to my physique

I may also add that due to your build you'll likely have to skip the 'slim' fit suits in most models. I certainly understand that your proportions for a given chest size would make you slimmer, but the slim cut suits typically have a narrower shoulder and a smaller armhole and trimmer sleeve which are all things causing your fit issues. I think you'll end up having to find a 'regular' fit model which fits in the shoulders/sleeves and then have it tailored down in the body. It'll probably involved a lot of work for the pants as well, but if you want something remotely close to fitting off the rack I think you'll have to go down this path.

Cadet133

Reaction score
I may also add that due to your build you'll likely have to skip the 'slim' fit suits in most models. I certainly understand that your proportions for a given chest size would make you slimmer, but the slim cut suits typically have a narrower shoulder and a smaller armhole and trimmer sleeve which are all things causing your fit issues. I think you'll end up having to find a 'regular' fit model which fits in the shoulders/sleeves and then have it tailored down in the body. It'll probably involved a lot of work for the pants as well, but if you want something remotely close to fitting off the rack I think you'll have to go down this path.

Thanks i guess that might be the route i need to go to in future

Cadet133

Reaction score
I'm afraid so.

View attachment 1612022

Some things:

The sleeves are too tight. They look like they're constricting your arm.

The shoulder is a bit lumpy. It should be a cleaner line

The jacket is too short. I've marked where the jacket should roughly end.

The buttoning point is also a little too high. It should be at your natural waist

View attachment 1612020

When choosing a suit jacket or sport coat, you should aim:

1. For clean lines. When you see puckering, pulling, or other types of wrinkles, it likely means that the jacket doesn't fit well in that area

2. The jacket should roughly end halfway between your collar and the floor. Most men aren't used to this because they're used to wearing casual jackets, which are much shorter than suit jackets.

3. A clean shoulder line.

4. There shouldn't be divots at the upper part of the sleeve. The sleeve should fall cleanly.

There are some other things, but it's unfortunately too late to get a well-fitting jacket, I'm afraid. If the wedding is on Friday, then you don't really have time to shop for a good jacket and/ or get it altered. Maybe put these notes in a mental file and shop for a better garment for your next event.

You may find this post useful when shopping for a suit or sport coat in the future. It contains links to other articles I've written.

This one I have from few years ago before i lost weight. Appears too big? Better than the black? In term of fit

Attachments

• PSFix_20210518_220623.jpeg
    PSFix_20210518_220623.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 203

papado

Reaction score
This one I have from few years ago before i lost weight. Appears too big? Better than the black? In term of fit

Much better than the black ones. Notice how the sleeves lay relatively cleanly and the shoulder lines are relatively straight over your traps/shoulders. Probably a better bet to just have the waist taken in at the tailor than buy one of the black ones but for a short term fix, I'd just wear this one.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That one fits much, much better.

As papado noted, I would just wear this one to the wedding. Note, don't fasten the bottom button on suit jackets or sport coats. They are not meant to be buttoned.

Personally, I would not take in the waist on that coat. When you take a coat in too much, it can start to distort other things in the jacket. Plus, I think the silhouette starts to look bad. Would wear that with the waist unaltered.

Have fun at your event!

Last edited:

adrianvo

Reaction score
I normally get them tailored but I have a wedding to attend this friday and dont have time to get it tailored.

The first one is size 44 and the other one is one size above 46. Both are slim fit
Both of those are pretty disastrous.

It's good that you work out hard and try to build muscle (as any guy should), but a suit is not for showing off muscles.

Go MTM or try the Lazio fit from SuitSupply. Their sleeves are a bit more spacious, and I think the silhouette would look okay on you - but you got to try and see.

Edit: The blue jacket doesn't look as bad as the first two, but it's way too short. Definitely pick that one over the other two if you have to choose.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is much better than the first two. Also, consider wearing a light blue or white shirt instead of the black.

Enjoy the party!

BPL Esq

Reaction score
I certainly mean no disrespect to the OP, but this thread is a great illustration of how over the past 10 years or so a lot of guys (including me for a period of time back around 2013-15) have been led down the path of thinking that suits need to be tight for some reason. The 'slim fit' ones at the top are not even remotely close to fitting properly (and have other issues like the color, buttoning point, and anemic lapels), while the one that seemed 'too big' looks great on the OP (but could benefit from more robust lapels and needs a white or light blue shirt to accompany it).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads