Which of these watches would you trade a Big Pilot for?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jul 21, 2008.

1. BBRex

BBRex Senior member

Personaly, I would just keep the pilot.

+1. I love that watch. [​IMG]

2. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

I'll buy the BP..

Of the above - I'd go for the Explorer on a black croc strap.

Also, be a nice change from your large IWC's..

I still have my Explorer 1, (& yes on a black crocodile strap) I just don't wear it.. In fact, I think one of my ex's still has it!

3. lordofpi

lordofpi Senior member

I am tempted to suggest #2 because I am very appreciative of Audemars Piguet watches, but the Royal Oak never appealed to me -- I don't know if it's the sportiness or what exactly. Rolex was always an off-putting brand to me because of its snob-appeal, though the products are definitely quality. So, after all that ado, I concur with the others: #1 JLC Reverso is a beautiful watch and a great conversation piece.

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I don't dislike the Reverso by any means but it's not one I've ever been able to get excited about.

I think you should get the Royal Oak. It's not as if there's a situation where you would want to wear the JLC that the 5001 wouldn't work reasonably well so why not branch out a bit. Plus I think it's the most attractive of the three options.

I like the old BP but don't think I could find many chances to wear it.

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

My first choice right there would be the Royal Oak. I have a thing with that industrial like design (and in a way, I am part of a minority that likes the IWC Inge) but APs price is really crazy imho, and JLC's Reverso is as classical or even more. Besides that, I think that Reverso fits in with your Rubinaccis more than the AP.

Edit: And the blued hands on the Reverso, with the SS case.... I like!

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't take any of those over the Big Pilot. But if I was forced I suppose the Reverso. That is a real apples and oranges swap though!

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Another vote for the Reverso.
    It's a lovely watch and is on my wishlist.
    I quite like Rolex designs (although the style is widely copied), but probably wouldn't get one simply because of the "Oh, it's a Rolex" phenomenon. If I was to get a Rolex I think that I'd go with a GMT, preferably with the "Pepsi" bezel.
    I would never get an AP RO. Just don't like the look of it and as you say, it's grossly overpriced.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Royal Oak has always struck me as an odd success. Its design is rather dated looking, and yet it's relentlessly popular.

9. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Despite the itch to hate on Rolex, I think the Explorer 1 is a pretty tasteful watch.

Agreed. It is fine for a sportier look.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Keep the BP. The Reverso is the best of the three, but looks like a brick on the wrist. If you can find a Reverso Sun/Moon in the GT size, you will have a difficult decision to make.

11. citoyen

citoyen Senior member

+1 to the reverso crowd.

fits your style better than any of the other. plus they aren´t really comparable (the ap and rolex yes, but not with the reverso - i know you know....).
    square/rectangular watches are for the connaisseur(!! i did not say for the expert/nerd). i think every man should own at least one of them. and the JLC are the best options imo. whats the $ price?

12. leon12

leon12 Senior member

Keep the BP.. it's iconic.

13. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

Reverso, but not in Grande size. I have a Reverso Duo and find it to be an ideal size for a dress watch.

+1. Size of Duo or Classique will be more suitable for a smaller wrist. (I remember your wrist size is same as mine, 6.5")

14. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know how to evaluate whether the JLC fits into your needs or not, but it is a very nice watch though not the Reverso I would choose.

I like both of the other two as sports watches but think the Explorer is the better choice. Beautiful, simple and unfussy design with a very legible, classic dial (too much writing, but you can't have everything) and it will run for you like a tank. It delivers everything you could want from a sportwatch. If and when I need to replace my 20+ year old TAG/Heuer sportwatch, a Rolex like the Explorer is what I would get. Are there any AirKing models you like - some have weird dials but I thought there were some simple ones, too.

If you have another watch to wear for the office, I would keep it on a bracelet as a metal bracelet is just much more suitable for a wear-and-forget active use watch (unless you are talking nylon or NATO strap).

The Royal Oak is a nice design, but too much $ to spend on a watch that I want to be able to wear and forget about.

15. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Reverso....with the Rolex (tougher to visualize as its pictured with a bracelet) being a not too near 2nd.

Regards.