• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these two riding jackets?

cmrocks

Reaction score
Really eh? I didn't know the forks and brakes were such low spec. You could probably get the Ohlins stuff from the PS to fit quite easily but it would cost a bit. My brother has a Monster S4RS with Ohlins front and rear and they're amazing. They just soak up all the small stuff yet stick when you toss it into a corner. You could also look into an Ohlins internals kit for your stock forks. My 848 comes with Showa forks and the Ohlins internal kit is only $400 or something. It's susposed to make a huge difference too.

Ducati's are unreal bikes but they definately take some time and effort to get set up properly.

How do you like the power so far?

cmrocks

Reaction score
I've been looking around a bit more and I think I'm going to get one of these two jackets. Both are the Dainese Newsan model.

All black:

dainese_newsan_perf_jkt_blk_LG.jpg

Black and grey:

mm_Giacca-Newsan-CIS-ok.jpg

I like the all black one a lot but I also want something a bit more flashy. An entirely black jacket is kind of boring. The black and grey one looks more like a riding jacket. Also my bike is white so I think the white trim on the jacket would go well with the bike.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Really eh? I didn't know the forks and brakes were such low spec. You could probably get the Ohlins stuff from the PS to fit quite easily but it would cost a bit. My brother has a Monster S4RS with Ohlins front and rear and they're amazing. They just soak up all the small stuff yet stick when you toss it into a corner. You could also look into an Ohlins internals kit for your stock forks. My 848 comes with Showa forks and the Ohlins internal kit is only $400 or something. It's susposed to make a huge difference too.

Ducati's are unreal bikes but they definately take some time and effort to get set up properly.

How do you like the power so far?

GP suspension in Portland told me there's nothing they can do to these forks. There is a company, Traxxion Dynamics that makes a $1000 drop-in cartridge kit that gives you adjustability etc. Ohlins are like $2.3k from the dealer (or anywhere, really). The best/easiest/most affordable option is really a set of Showas from a different bike (usually under $4-500 gently used), and then the Ohlins or Racetech valving kit for another couple hundo. So that's the track I'm looking at right now.

The power is just fine, there's plenty. I really don't need more, but I am (of course) looking at all my options for tweaking. I'd love to get the DP Termi kit but you still don't have much control over the fuel maps etc., and MPG drops substantially. Sounds and looks sweeeeet though.

I've been looking around a bit more and I think I'm going to get one of these two jackets. Both are the Dainese Newsan model.

All black:

Black and grey:

I like the all black one a lot but I also want something a bit more flashy. An entirely black jacket is kind of boring. The black and grey one looks more like a riding jacket. Also my bike is white so I think the white trim on the jacket would go well with the bike.

You're talking about wearing this on the bike, right? They look far too bikey to wear casually, IMO. I'd love to get a jacket I could ride in that I wouldn't feel like a dork just wearing around, but really any of them with armor look pretty overdone. The Dainese armor is at least pretty low profile though.

I still like the Eagle 65 jacket. I tried one on and it seems pretty versatile. If I got the white/black one I could black out some of the white embroidered logos to make it a little more subtle. (Unless they are reflective or something). Maybe if I find a really good deal on one.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be wearing it on the bike. I know what you mean about feeling dorky while off the bike with that kind of jacket. My current Aplinestar summer weight jacket gives me juice-monkey large looking shoulders. It's a great jacket for riding, comfortable and safe but I feel too self conscious to wear it off the bike.

I may end up looking into other brands like Vanson. I'd still really like to have a biker style jacket that I can use for riding as well as a normal jacket.

Is that Eagle 65 jacket from a different season? I was flipping through the Ducati apparel catalogue and I didn't see it. It's one of the nicer looking branded jackets I've seen for sure.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the Eagle is from last year or the year before when they brought out some more of the old school logo stuff. If you want one, there's a site that has them for like $300 new, which is $150 or so off retail. And they show up on ebay occasionally. I tried on the medium and it fits me fine even with my spine protector on and the minimal one that comes with it. The only thing I noticed was that the sleeves were a bit short, but no big deal, it's more of a warm weather jacket anyway so uber coverage isn't that important. The end of the sleeves was very tapered so it should be fine even with shorter glove gauntlets.

Unfortunately I really hate the newest Ducati logo so I wouldn't buy anything with that on there. A lot of their stuff is too techy for me anyway.

I just need to start my own label for motorcycle gear that looks awesome and has good armor in it. If I could get someone local to work with in making the leather stuff, and source the good leather, I could easily put a few designs together that would appeal to serious riders who still want to look good to normal, non bike people.

BTW be sure to look at Kushitani - they often have some very nice looking, more subtle gear, kind of similar to Dainese, and very high quality.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion it doesn't... But hey! I don't ride motorcycles.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
I like the first one considerably better.

However, when I see the first think I think of is Italy (colors and order is spot on)... so I personally would feel a little uncomfortable rockin that jacket unless I had some sort of tie to Italy or its culture. It would feel a little fakeed for me to wear it otherwise.

Guess where Ducatis are made.
Originally Posted by cjmorris21
ducati's are slow.

You're a bright one, huh? Ducati is are slow? Time to pull the fries out of the deep fryer and salt them.

All black:

Black and grey:

Go with the black. Nobody's going to mistake it for a non-riding jacket. Not into the whole matching accessories to one's bike personally; it just looks so contrived.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads