• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these sneakers with Suit?

Bond23

Reaction score
Hello Gents, need help deciding between these two sneakers to pair up with a Charcoal suit. Sorry, the Chucks seen in the background just don't work on this suit, I need slimmer pants (and tapered). If you're not into pairing sneakers with a suit please save your comments, I'm simply trying to decide what looks best out what I have here. Thank You!
2edqstu.jpg
2926urk.jpg
leaning towards the darker grey at the moment. The lighter shade just looks like I tried to match the pants but failed. Although the lighter shoe IS better looking since the sole is all one color unlike the darker grey shoe.

Knisse

Reaction score
If you want a chance for serious comments you may want to use the thread for asking questions or the recommendations thread - you didnt have to start a new one.

alexanduh

Reaction score
youre an idiot.

why sneakers?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epic threak, would poast again.

Bond23

Reaction score
Because I like them and they are comfortable. I figured this would go over better in the streetwear section. I guess not.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want the nerdy chic Thom Browne look, your trousers need to be much tighter and cuffed above the ankles to show off either:

A. CP lows in white, no socks
B. CP training boots in black or equivalent

Anything else makes you look like a 16 year old kid.

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe dark lanvins or CPs
when it has to be a pair of those you have, i would choose the first ones
but it doesn't look good

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bond23
Because I like them and they are comfortable. I figured this would go over better in the streetwear section. I guess not.

formal shoes can be just as comfortable. a nice black pair of captoe oxfords.

if you are going to wear sneakers get monotone ones. black or white. definitely not gray with those pants.

for formal wear grey blazers are just silly. nike tick is tacky.

Bond23

Reaction score
Just need something for the weekend and that's all I got. Or black desert boots. Sorry about the noob thread, I'll learn. Which of those sneakers go best with that? Don't really have too many options so probably going to go with the darker ones.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black desert boots you can get away with.

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bond23
Just need something for the weekend and that's all I got. Or black desert boots. Sorry about the noob thread, I'll learn. Which of those sneakers go best with that? Don't really have too many options so probably going to go with the darker ones.

how are the desert boots?

if thats all you got then yea the darker ones.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at Simon Spurr's site if you want to see pics of how to do a suit with sneaks right. Incidentally, all the sneakers you'll see in the Spurr pics are Common Projects.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
If you want the nerdy chic Thom Browne look, your trousers need to be much tighter and cuffed above the ankles to show off either:

A. CP lows in white, no socks
B. CP training boots in black or equivalent

Anything else makes you look like a 16 year old kid.

don't listen to this guy.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^True

OP the sneaks you have don't really work with a suit. I think you would have to get either something sleek like some Chucks or Keds or Supra Cuttlers or something really bulky & high top to tuck the trousers into, which would be super tough to pull off. Nike low tops are just too bulky to flow with the lines of a suit.

Either way, that tonal grey looks super bad. You should be going for contrast - bright colors, white, and/or black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads