1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Which of these G&G?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by designprofessor, Oct 15, 2006.

1. designprofessor

designprofessor Distinguished Member

I meet with G&G tomorrow. I have three that seem to stand out to my eye. Here's my question. At the stated prices, would you go for the more distinctive Astaire?
    Or the more conservative Wiltshire and Hughes.

Note, 1.)I work in art /design and academia so I don't have to be conservative. 2.) Can I pair those Astaire (suede / leather combo) with a suit? Or just odd jacket?

I'd be interested to see what others say. I have my sentimental favorite, but I'm waiting to see them in the flesh.

#1 Astaire (dk brown sued /leather combo)
    #2 Hughes captoe with nice detailing on throat and toe.
    #3 Wiltshire, nice toe design and shape around laces.

Thanks.
    designprofessor

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I meet with G&G tomorrow. I have three that seem to stand out to my eye. Here's my question. At the stated prices, would you go for the more distinctive Astaire? Or the more conservative Wiltshire and Hughes. Note, 1.)I work in art /design and academia so I don't have to be conservative. 2.) Can I pair those Astaire (suede / leather combo) with a suit? Or just odd jacket? I'd be interested to see what others say. I have my sentimental favorite, but I'm waiting to see them in the flesh. #1 Astaire (dk brown sued /leather combo) #2 Hughes captoe with nice detailing on throat and toe. #3 Wiltshire, nice toe design and shape around laces. Thanks. designprofessor
    The Astaire would be nice with a suit. I ordered the same combo (suede and leather) in a saddle shoe from a different maker and plan to wear it with whatever I feel like. I can't really get too excited over the second shoe. Unlike a lot of people on this board, another English captoe does not really get me going. The third on is nice. I have a similar pair but with two eyelets instead of three. I wear it relatively often. Edit: On second thought, the detailing on the third one looks out of proportion to my eye. The broguing on the cap looks wimpy and pinprick like. It may be better in person. Overall, I would go with the Astaire by a large margin.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

Astaire. That shoe is hot.

4. philosophe

philosophe Distinguished Member

The Astaire is great looking. What's the rest of your shoe collection like? Maybe it is time for something really distinctive.

Shoe #2 is very nice, but do you need another beautiful but conservative shoe?

I don't like #3 at all. Something about the proportions strikes me as off.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Astaire. That shoe is hot.
    I agree with Zach. To me, there are only two shoes I would even consider in that catalog. I would buy the astaire without any hesitation, and I would think about the Fairmont. The rest really do not strike a chord with me.

6. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

I love the Wiltshire, actually. I think the shape is quite distinctive without being overly flashy.

7. sammy

sammy Senior Member

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

The Astaire, for the reasons others have stated - and mostly because I get the impression it's the one that calls out to you the most, which is the most important factor. And I do think they'd pair well with a suit.
    My second choice would be the Wiltshire, which is also elegant and distinctive looking. The Hughes looks like a very nice shoe, but to me lacks enough "oomph" or distinctive personality I'd want from a special purpose.
    Whatever you choose, enjoy them.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I'm quite fond of the Wiltshire.

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Not sure why Tony chose to make the corners come to a point on the throat of that Adelaide. His bespoke samples show a (to my eye) much more elegant roundness.

11. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

#1 or #2, it's a real toss-up.

12. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

The only shoe I really love is the combination brogue. I've long admired Koji Suzuki's similar shoe over on centipede's site. Honestly, I think I'd get two of the Astaire--the other one in a lighter leather and/or with greater contrast. Make it part of your signature look. I now have several of the split-toe Mantellassis and I've realized it's sometimes nice to have that thematic continuity. I agree with Manton that the corners on that Adelaide are somewhat bizarre--the sharpness is too much at odds with the overall fluidity of the design.

13. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

See, I like the shape of the throat; it's what makes it look distinctive. But then, I guess that distinctive, by definition, is not for everybody.

14. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Get all three.

Seriously...go for the Astaire. A lovely shoe.

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

Not sure why Tony chose to make the corners come to a point on the throat of that Adelaide. His bespoke samples show a (to my eye) much more elegant roundness.
    I agree. That sharp line is less pleasant