• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these brands do you think has the highest taste level?

Kasper

Reaction score
I was hoping you could help me determine which of these makers has the highest taste level. I feel that each brand caters to conservative business dress and I have only included those which I have had previous positive experiences with. You may notice that some makers such as Brioni and Rubinacci are not offered as choices in the poll; this is only because I have not yet had the opportunity to visit the stores which sell their garments but I hope to in the near future.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
taste level? anything tastes pretty good w/ a bit of salt and pepper
smile.gif
Sorry I have nothing constructive to add to this thread as I have absolutely no experience w/ any of the brands above

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers is the clear winner in this bunch

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers of course. Presidents and even Gianni Agnelli wore the button down Brooks Brothers shirts and he can buy/wear anything!

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have purchased from Nordstrom, Brooks, and Jos. A Bank. Here are some thoughts:

1> Brooks Brothers is the standard for classic, conservative, high quality business dress, but there is a pretty wide range within their offerings. For example, their rtw shirts range in price by about 40-50 dollars. If you look closely, you will see the range of prices correspond w/ fabric quality and the fact that some are made in Malaysia, others in Canada, and a few in the US. It's clearly the best of the group of stores you listed, and if you are willing to spend for their higher end, you can get some great stuff....but it might not compare to some discounts you can find elsewhere on high-end fashion forward brands.

2> Jos. A Banks is NOT at the same quality level as Brooks, but it's also not the same price. They are very good at marking things up much higher than they're worth so they look like they're the same price point as BB, but then selling at DEEP discounts. For example, if you have a job, they will put you in their corporate program for 25% off anything anytime. They're also ALWAYS running a sale. It can be good for some things like their Traveler Polo shirts, non-iron dress shirts, and some trousers if you're on a budget and trying to start a wardrobe. My Tux is from Banks because I wanted something entry level to justify not renting anymore. I'm satisfied, but look forward to buying something more fashionable sometime later.

3> Nordstrom has two house brands. The John W line looks pretty nice, although I don't think I've purchased any of that. I believe the John W has some MTM shirts, etc. Their standard house brand is not meant to compete w/ BB.....but it's also priced much lower. It's most comparable to the poplular-priced department store Polo stuff I've owned.

Xarthor

Reaction score
No offense, but all that stuff is pretty much crap. Brooks Brothers suits haven't been made well since they got sold to Marks and Spencer in 1988. They've been cutting corners on all their suits to make profit since then and the quality has suffered. Joseph A. Bank is marginally better. Their Signature and Signature Gold collection stuff isn't bad quality, but the cut is so boxy and potato-sackish, even for traditional English cut suits. The John W. Nordstrom line is fair, their dress shirts are nice quality, but they're far from the couture you seem to be looking for. And everything else on that list is worse. Don't they sell Bill Blass at Sam's Club? What does that tell you about the "taste level"? If you're looking for a quality American manufacturer of English cut (that means conservative business dress) suits, you need to get your hands on some Oxxford, Hickey Freeman, or Hart Schaffner Marx.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Brooks Brothers has some decent stuff, their Golden Fleece line and the handmade by Morton Greenfield line are pretty decent quality.

I agree with above posters who said that these are generally not great quality...

I find it hard to believe that you haven't found your way to a RL store, which would have much better stuff than anything posted here.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xarthor
No offense, but all that stuff is pretty much crap.

Brooks Brothers suits haven't been made well since they got sold to Marks and Spencer in 1988. They've been cutting corners on all their suits to make profit since then and the quality has suffered.

Joseph A. Bank is marginally better. Their Signature and Signature Gold collection stuff isn't bad quality, but the cut is so boxy and potato-sackish, even for traditional English cut suits.

The John W. Nordstrom line is fair, their dress shirts are nice quality, but they're far from the couture you seem to be looking for.

And everything else on that list is worse. Don't they sell Bill Blass at Sam's Club? What does that tell you about the "taste level"?

If you're looking for a quality American manufacturer of English cut (that means conservative business dress) suits, you need to get your hands on some Oxxford, Hickey Freeman, or Hart Schaffner Marx.

Joseph A.Banks does not make a "traditional English cut".

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think Brooks Brothers has some decent stuff, their Golden Fleece line and the handmade by Morton Greenfield line are pretty decent quality.

I agree with above posters who said that these are generally not great quality...

I find it hard to believe that you haven't found your way to a RL store, which would have much better stuff than anything posted here.

Yeah, what drizzt said.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Joseph A.Banks does not make a "traditional English cut".
Nor do Oxxford and Hickey-Freeman.

Originally Posted by Xarthor
English cut (that means conservative business dress)
You might want to think about stuff like that before posting.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be contrary, but I have no idea what "taste" has to do with any of these brands. In the words of Mr. Cowell, "isn't this all rather pointless?"

If the question is quality of construction, then I would rank BB highest (however, there are different lines). If the question is value for the dollar, that might be a bit tougher. The J. Banks suits are often sold at such a steep discount that they might actually represent a competitive value.

To second Mr. Bateman, the prior poster misuses the terms English cut. While an English cut suit is perfectly fine for business wear, the two are far from synonymous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads