• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these brands aren't "bad" for dress shirts?

newn

Reaction score
For example, I've read a lot of dirt about Hugo Boss brand. Since I'm not adept at buying dress shirts, which of these brands are decent ones? Not looking for the costliest nor the cheapest, I'm looking for a quality dress shirt that would be pleasant to wear during the summer. Only these brands are available for me, and I'm not going to buy online since I've never wore a dress shirt before and I'm not made of money. I would prefer to keep the price below $100 (if that's possible for a pleasant dress shirt?), and I'm mostly looking for NON-solid color shirts (stripes/checks). If that matters, I am slim, ~6 foot height.

Note: Not from the US!

Here's the list:

1. iBlues
  2. Marella
  3. Gerard Darel
  4. Joop!
  5. Seventy
  6. Ted Baker
  7. Betty Barclay
  8. Bandolera
  9. Strellson
  10. Roy Robson
  11. Coccinelle
  12. Karl Lagerfeld
  13. Penny Black
  14. Pierre Cardin
  15. Tommy Hilfiger
  16. Massimo Dutti

Here's a list of stores that MAY have dress shirts:

1. D&G
  2. Versace
  3. Just Cavalli
  4. Galliano
  5. Bikkembergs
  6. 7 for all man kind
  7. Ermano Scervino
  8. See by Chloe
  9. Richmond
  10. GF Ferre
  11. McQ by McQueen
  12. Marina Rinaldi
  13. MaxMara
  14. La Perla
  15. Ermenegildo Zegna
  16. Hugo Boss
  17. Emporio Armani

Last edited:

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Go to shopthefinest.com and you'll likely find quality dress shirts. None of these brands are something I'd consider buying.

newn

Reaction score

Go to shopthefinest.com and you'll likely find quality dress shirts. None of these brands are something I'd consider buying.

Unfortunately none of those brands are available here (not from the US, updated the OP now).

Are these the only decent brands?

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not the only but a good general source. Browse the forums, surely there's alot of information to find on the subject. Check the other affiliated vendors to see if you can order from any of them.

newn

Reaction score

Not the only but a good general source. Browse the forums, surely there's alot of information to find on the subject. Check the other affiliated vendors to see if you can order from any of them.

Most of the information is US-based, like Banana Republic or J. Crew, I mean local stores. I've tried searching the forums but gave up after ~20-30 minutes, it's too tedious due to that reason. I shall edit the title, I suppose.

EDIT: Unfortunately I cannot edit the title. I'd add (EU).

Last edited:

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't think you'll find alot of the guys here at banana republic. Get your measurements and order online from somewhere LIKE shopthefinest, the shipping isn't excessive and the quality is superbly better than that found in most highstreet fashion brands mentioned by you. It doesn't really matter that you live in the EU, so do I.

newn

Reaction score

Don't think you'll find alot of the guys here at banana republic. Get your measurements and order online from somewhere LIKE shopthefinest, the shipping isn't excessive and the quality is superbly better than that found in most highstreet fashion brands mentioned by you. It doesn't really matter that you live in the EU, so do I.

My guess is that higher quality shirts start with $100, so basically I'd have to pay $100 + $40 shipping + customs + postal service, which would total to about $200. That's almost what I get paid a month.

Isn't there another option for Europeans that would result in a decent shirt for a price not flawed by such nonsense?

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
tmlewin.co.uk, ctshirts.co.uk are both fairly decent.

steffenbp11

Reaction score
Strellson make some pretty decent clothes. But if I were you, I would check out Suitsupply, Their suits are very good ( I own quite a few, so I expect that their shirts are of the same quality. They start at 6 euro, and free shipping if your order exceeds 100 euro. Based i Holland so no custom problems...

konda

Reaction score
For example, I've read a lot of dirt about Hugo Boss brand. Since I'm not adept at buying dress shirts, which of these brands are decent ones? Not looking for the costliest nor the cheapest, I'm looking for a quality dress shirt that would be pleasant to wear during the summer. Only these brands are available for me, and I'm not going to buy online since I've never wore a dress shirt before and I'm not made of money. I would prefer to keep the price below $100 (if that's possible for a pleasant dress shirt?), and I'm mostly looking for NON-solid color shirts (stripes/checks). If that matters, I am slim, ~6 foot height.

Here's the list:

1. iBlues
  2. Marella
  3. Gerard Darel
  4. Joop!
  5. Seventy
  6. Ted Baker
  7. Betty Barclay
  8. Bandolera
  9. Strellson
  10. Roy Robson
  11. Coccinelle
  12. Karl Lagerfeld
  13. Penny Black
  14. Pierre Cardin
  15. Tommy Hilfiger
  16. Massimo Dutti

For under 100 Boss. For even cheaper than that buy Tyrwhitt. For the only RTW shirt at around 100-200 that's worth actually wearing, buy an Eton or a TM Lewin.

But in any case you should find a store that does decent quality MTM for around 100-130 or for beater quality MTM get a Modern Tailor shirt. With Modern Tailor you can easily find just about anything. Suit Supply is close to the cost of Modern Tailor and equal in quality but of course faster to get.

Last edited:

newn

Reaction score

tmlewin.co.uk, ctshirts.co.uk are both fairly decent.

I'll check them out in a short while.

Strellson make some pretty decent clothes. But if I were you, I would check out Suitsupply, Their suits are very good ( I own quite a few, so I expect that their shirts are of the same quality. They start at 6 euro, and free shipping if your order exceeds 100 euro. Based i Holland so no custom problems...

Actually there's 2 local stores of Suit Supply, I could simply visit them. I absolutely forgot to mention them!

For under 100 Boss. For even cheaper than that buy Tyrwhitt. For the only RTW shirt at around 100-200 that's worth actually wearing, buy an Eton or a TM Lewin.

But in any case you should find a store that does decent quality MTM for around 100-130 or for beater quality MTM get a Modern Tailor shirt. With Modern Tailor you can easily find just about anything. Suit Supply is close to the cost of Modern Tailor and equal in quality but of course faster to get.

Google said that "RTW" shirts are shirts with some writings, which is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for business casual clothes. Correct me if my Google search wasn't correct.

We don't have Modern Tailor here, however we do have Suit Supply.

Would you mind sharing your country? There might be some options locally, such as outlets, that you could see the shirts and actually try them.

I would prefer not to. There's more stores that I haven't mentioned because they weren't under the "business clothing" list, but I would assume at least some of them sell dress shirts. There goes the list:

1. D&G
  2. Versace
  3. Just Cavalli
  4. Galliano
  5. Bikkembergs
  6. 7 for all man kind
  7. Ermano Scervino
  8. See by Chloe
  9. Richmond
  10. GF Ferre
  11. McQ by McQueen
  12. Marina Rinaldi
  13. MaxMara
  14. La Perla
  15. Ermenegildo Zegna
  16. Hugo Boss
  17. Emporio Armani

konda

Reaction score
RTW = Ready To Wear. I.E. taken from the rack and put on.
Modern Tailor = makes Made To Measure shirts based on your measurements. They make them in China and ship them to pretty much any country, so even if you are from Syria, you are most likely going to be able to get MT's shirts.
Suit Supply = since you have this in your country, I would go there and try some of their shirts on. Most likely your best bet. Having SS in your country means you are from a developed part of the world and have access to pretty much anything you want to get your hands on.

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
RTW = ready to wear. Off the rack you might say. This is in contrast to MTO or bespoke where they make the shirt or garment to fit you perfectly by cutting to your measurements. You've recieved some good advice, go get your shirts!

Edit: Konda beat me to it.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's the list:

1. iBlues
  2. Marella
  3. Gerard Darel
  4. Joop!
  5. Seventy
  6. Ted Baker
  7. Betty Barclay
  8. Bandolera
  9. Strellson
  10. Roy Robson
  11. Coccinelle
  12. Karl Lagerfeld
  13. Penny Black
  14. Pierre Cardin
  15. Tommy Hilfiger
  16. Massimo Dutti

Here's a list of stores that MAY have dress shirts:

1. D&G
  2. Versace
  3. Just Cavalli
  4. Galliano
  5. Bikkembergs
  6. 7 for all man kind
  7. Ermano Scervino
  8. See by Chloe
  9. Richmond
  10. GF Ferre
  11. McQ by McQueen
  12. Marina Rinaldi
  13. MaxMara
  14. La Perla
  15. Ermenegildo Zegna
  16. Hugo Boss
  17. Emporio Armani

All make good rags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads