• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these brands aren't "bad" for dress shirts?

newn

Reaction score

RTW = Ready To Wear. I.E. taken from the rack and put on.
Modern Tailor = makes Made To Measure shirts based on your measurements. They make them in China and ship them to pretty much any country, so even if you are from Syria, you are most likely going to be able to get MT's shirts.
Suit Supply = since you have this in your country, I would go there and try some of their shirts on. Most likely your best bet. Having SS in your country means you are from a developed part of the world and have access to pretty much anything you want to get your hands on.

Will go on Sunday/Monday and post back with the results! I've tried measuring myself, but according to what I got, I'm smaller than the extra small sized shirts at the sites I was linked to. That's odd, as I have wide firm shoulders, in fact a blazer I borrowed from a friend was way too tight for my shoulders, and it was "M" sized ~$150 blazer. It was also a bit too far from my stomach, the sleeves were alright.

Will post back with the results and see if I can get any pics of the shirt to get an opinion. I think I need at least 2 shirts for the beginning, can't go wearing the same clothes day-in-day-out.

newn

Reaction score
Was at Suit Supply today. The receptionist seem to not know much, except that a black belt goes with black shoes. Doesn't even get the concept or a blazer.

Anyway, she measured my neck, said I'm "37." I've also tried a 37 shirt on, it was quite loose on my stomach and there was around 3cm of extra material at my sleeve when I was standing with my hands hanging down. (can get a picture as an example, just ask). The neck was a close fit, I felt the shirt all over my neck, and but it wasn't too tight. The sewings on the shoulders were around where my shoulders end. Need some input on this information.

newn

Reaction score
A new store just opened up here! It's called "Baltman" - any good?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the reluctance to post what country you're from. There's not shame in being from the Baltics...

I know nothing of the brand, but I don't see why the good brands are unavailable where you are. And I don't think you should be looking to spend a significant portion of your monthly budget on a shirt... But that's my opinion.

For everyone else, I assume this is the Baltman he is referring to...

http://www.baltman.ee/

newn

Reaction score

I don't understand the reluctance to post what country you're from. There's not shame in being from the Baltics...

I know nothing of the brand, but I don't see why the good brands are unavailable where you are. And I don't think you should be looking to spend a significant portion of your monthly budget on a shirt... But that's my opinion.

For everyone else, I assume this is the Baltman he is referring to...

http://www.baltman.ee/

Yes, that is the one.

As for spending a bit more for a shirt... I'm just looking for a comfortable shirt to wear, that's all.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mid-range department store stuff is usually built as well as most brands on your list, at least around here.

I don't know why would you want to pay for a brand rather than a garment. Some stuff on your list might be decent, but it probably isn't worth its cost.

joonian

Reaction score
Highly suggest you order from Boggi Milano. Free shipping now and shirts from 69 Euro (I think there might be some 59 as well). OK cloth, some nice details like side gussets etc, but most importantly (for me anyway), a substantial collar with a pleasing medium spread. The cutaways are very nice as well.

allysan1027

Reaction score

My guess is that higher quality shirts start with $100, so basically I'd have to pay $100 + $40 shipping + customs + postal service, which would total to about $200. That's almost what I get paid a month.

Isn't there another option for Europeans that would result in a decent shirt for a price not flawed by such nonsense?

Not sure what's more difficult to comprehend, the fact that you make $200 a month or your intention to spend half a months salary on a single dress shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads