• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these (a list of stores) offer decent shoes? If any?

newn

Reaction score
So you remember my other thread about the dress shirts. Now it's time for boots! And then I'm likely to move onto other pieces of clothing. But let's not derail, shall we?

Here's the store list, let me know if any of these make quality shoes for men, and if there's any specifics (like only X type of shoes), please mention that as well:

1. Aldo
  2. Alikante
  3. Chester
  4. Crocs
  5. Deitchmann
  6. Divo
  7. Ecco
  8. Elegant Line
  9. Este
  10. Fam Club
  11. Geox
  12. Reno
  13. Salamander
  14. Tamaris
  15. Clarks
  16. Hogl
  17. A&G
  18. Mango Touch
  19. NS King
  20. Lloyd
  21. Rieker
  22. Verus
  23. TJ Collection

In case all of them suck, let me know about the "good" brands that would actually be comfortable to wear. Note that I live in Europe, a less developed country.

EDIT:

Found a few more brands:

1. Cardinal
  2. Bugatti
  3. Vegabond
  4. Armani Jeans
  5. La Conte Paris
  6. Diesel
  7. Guess
  8. Camper
  9. Tommy Hilfiger
  10. Miomio

Last edited:

newn

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to add some info on what I need them for. So here goes:

I'd be walking a lot in them, even as much as 2-4 miles non-stop, or even more. We have 3-4 months long winters here, but I'd probably buy other shoes that are warmer because it's -20C outside during the winters. So these mainly would be for the other 8-9 months, so sunny and rainy days at 5-30C.

Looking for comfort and quality dress shoes that would go with a button-down/jeans or non-suit pants and sometimes a blazer (business casual, I like the more professional approach/looks). Not gonna wear a suit yet.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Not really. You know that saying, "better to have one pair of good shoes than four pairs of bad?" Aldo makes the bad shoes in that analogy.
4. F*** no. Never ever. Ever. Worse than Vibram Five-Fingers, which at least tend to attract people who know cool facts about ley lines.
7. Supposed to be good walking shoes, but ugly.
15. Not really decent shoes. Wallabees are great, but the Padmore & Barnes version is supposedly nicer. Desert boots are good, but cheapish.

This is an American forum, so American brands get a lot of coverage, but I think it would be easier to find good shoes in parts of Europe than in the US. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a place that carries one of the English brands, if you insist on trying on in store, and I think you'd have a much easier time than an American of ordering from an EU or UK online retailer.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good Lord, I must get out more. There is not one name on that list I recognize.

newn

Reaction score
In that case, did a bit more digging, here's what I found:

1. Vagabond
  2. Bronx
  3. Lacoste
  4. Lorenzo
  5. Zazza
  6. Wawa
  7. Timberland
  8. Gino Rossi

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of those are to a certain degree typical bad leather, glued-soled, square-toed shoes which are not highly liked in here. If you want good quality shoes for a decent price I would look at:

1) Loake's 1880-line
2) Herring shoes, made in england only
3) Carmina
4) C&J
5) Meermin (excellent quality/price, average CS, long waiting time)
6) Septième Largeur
7) Vass
8) Cheaney
9) Alfred Sargent
+ Some I don't remember at this time.

Good Lord, I must get out more. There is not one name on that list I recognize.

That's actually a good sign. I, sadly, do recognise some of them.

Last edited:

newn

Reaction score

All of those are to a certain degree typical bad leather, glued-soled, square-toed shoes which are not highly liked in here. If you want good quality shoes for a decent price I would look at:

1) Loake's 1880-line
2) Herring shoes, made in england only
3) Carmina
4) C&J
5) Meermin (excellent quality/price, average CS, long waiting time)
6) Septième Largeur
7) Vass
8) Cheaney
9) Alfred Sargent
+ Some I don't remember at this time.
That's actually a good sign. I, sadly, do recognise some of them.

So far, could not find a single store selling these brands.

Don't think buying a shoe online is the same as buying a shirt online, and I'm still gonna visit Suit Supply instead and try some of their shirts instead.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price, quality and accesability; pick two. Depending on where you live, some of the brands; Loake and C&J in particular, should be possible to find in a store. However, buying shoes online is not as difficult as someone makes it. I have bought at least 10 pairs online over the years I've been here, and every single one fits well; it all comes down to how much time you spend reading up on different last widths and the brands sizing with regards to others.

I live in Norway where clothing is very overpriced, resulting in me having my shirts and pants made to measurement in India (luxire) with far better quality in both craftmanship and fabric to a fraction of the price, and my shoes order through internet.

Last edited:

newn

Reaction score

Price, quality and accesability; pick two. Depending on where you live, some of the brands; Loake and C&J in particular, should be possible to find in a store. However, buying shoes online is not as difficult as someone makes it. I have bought at least 10 pairs online over the years I've been here, and every single one fits well; it all comes down to how much time you spend reading up on different last widths and the brands sizing with regards to others.

I live in Norway where clothing is very overpriced, resulting in me having my shirts and pants made to measurement in India (luxire) with far better quality in both craftmanship and fabric to a fraction of the price, and my shoes order through internet.

Thing is, last time I bought shoes was around 8 years ago. And the shoes were rather cheap. Basically I've no idea what's comfortable for me, I've only read on how it "feels," etc.. So without trying it on, I don't think I can know for sure, I would simple gamble by ordering. And I'm not rich, I'm buying these shoes for a few years until I start making money. I have to walk a few miles to work every morning and back every evening.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you not have any high-quality shoe store nearby? It isn't illegal to try on shoes withou buying, a bit immoral, yes, but not illegal. I would presonally try on to find the size you find comfortable and remember the size.

newn

Reaction score

Do you not have any high-quality shoe store nearby? It isn't illegal to try on shoes withou buying, a bit immoral, yes, but not illegal. I would presonally try on to find the size you find comfortable and remember the size.

I have the stores I've mentioned nearby, so I presume that I do not then.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside the big cities, high-quality shoes are usually not found in a store which only sells shoes but in a exclusive clothing store. Note the sizing which is in numbers like 7=41, 8=42 and so on which usually is written inside the shoe or on the shoe box.

newn

Reaction score

Outside the big cities, high-quality shoes are usually not found in a store which only sells shoes but in a exclusive clothing store. Note the sizing which is in numbers like 7=41, 8=42 and so on which usually is written inside the shoe or on the shoe box.

I live in the capital actually.

But speaking of size, is size the only thing? I mean, back when I was purchasing shoes for me (though of low quality, cost maybe ~$100 back then), I remember trying on various shoes and well - some of them felt horrible, they were really hard, in some my feet couldn't breathe, in some it felt like I couldn't walk more than a mile, some even though were of the "right" size, felt like they were too big or too small for my feet. Some were too tight or too close to the bone on the side of the feet (not sure how it's called), and basically kept bruising it when I was walking around the store department.

I would appreciate a comment on what I just said, mainly that's why I think that it's impossible to order shoes online and be sure that they fit you.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, shoe sizing among high-quality shoemakers are more consistent than cheaper shoes. However, shoes are built on lasts, wooden forms in the shape of feet, which all have different dimensions. Loake have three main lasts, 026, 024 and the Capital, which all have different measurements. Meermin have their own lasts; Rui, Olfe, Hiro, Ama etc. If you google the maker + last you get more information about which feet they are sculpted to fit; wide, normal or narrow. Some makers also have wider version of their lasts, which are even more specified to get a better fit. Personally, I consistently order size 7 shoes from european shoemakers, which all fit well so far, but I do know some makers varies usually within half a size; if you want to know more about their sizing, google the shoemaker + sizing.

Since you live in a capital, I can almost with 100% certainty say you have high quality shoes within the city.

newn

Reaction score

In my experience, shoe sizing among high-quality shoemakers are more consistent than cheaper shoes. However, shoes are built on lasts, wooden forms in the shape of feet, which all have different dimensions. Loake have three main lasts, 026, 024 and the Capital, which all have different measurements. Meermin have their own lasts; Rui, Olfe, Hiro, Ama etc. If you google the maker + last you get more information about which feet they are sculpted to fit; wide, normal or narrow. Some makers also have wider version of their lasts, which are even more specified to get a better fit. Personally, I consistently order size 7 shoes from european shoemakers, which all fit well so far, but I do know some makers varies usually within half a size; if you want to know more about their sizing, google the shoemaker + sizing.

Since you live in a capital, I can almost with 100% certainty say you have high quality shoes within the city.

I've named all the stores that are available in my country. If it wasn't there, we don't have it here.

As for the lasts... Well, right now I'm used to walk by putting my feet sideways at first, so a wound wouldn't open after a ~3 miles walk, because my shoes are extremely uncomfortable, they're even a size too big I think. So I can't say which feet I have nor what lasts I need.

Found a few more brands:

1. Cardinal
  2. Bugatti
  3. Vegabond
  4. Armani Jeans
  5. La Conte Paris
  6. Diesel
  7. Guess
  8. Camper
  9. Tommy Hilfiger
  10. Miomio

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads