• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which NYC tailor will do CMT for coatings?

HitMan009

Reaction score
I used LNC down on Baxter St. once for a suit, the workmanship was quite good but that was before when they had a shop. Does the guy at the current place do CMT work?

If not, I was thinking of getting some coating cloth from Andrew and having it done somewhere in NYC. I would like a recommendation that is reasonable in price. Does Mr. Ned so CMT? And if so, how much would it be?

Thanks!

JT82

Reaction score
Others with more experience might chime in, but I discussed with Vahram from Mr. Ned the possibility of providing my own cloth for some trousers, and he indicated that this is not something he generally likes to do. This is not to say he will turn you away, but he did seem rather reluctant.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Looks like most tailors are reluctant to do CMT from reading the postings on this forum. I dunno how LS would do CMT since the Izzy basically measures you and then he sends the measurements off to the MTM shop. Or am I wrong. He does have bolts of fabric at the place.

Please, more recommendations are welcomed.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JT82
Others with more experience might chime in, but I discussed with Vahram from Mr. Ned the possibility of providing my own cloth for some trousers, and he indicated that this is not something he generally likes to do. This is not to say he will turn you away, but he did seem rather reluctant.

Varham has done this for me several times without objection, but almost always for trousers, and never coats. That said, I don't expect this will be an insurmountable issue.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
I used LNC down on Baxter St. once for a suit, the workmanship was quite good but that was before when they had a shop. Does the guy at the current place do CMT work?

If not, I was thinking of getting some coating cloth from Andrew and having it done somewhere in NYC. I would like a recommendation that is reasonable in price. Does Mr. Ned so CMT? And if so, how much would it be?

Thanks!

LNC will still do CMT without question. He's located just underneath the old shop - ain't much, but he's still quite busy. Quality, if anything, has gone up a bit over the past few years. He's also willing to do more things stylistically that he wasn't when he was still with the other partner.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
LNC will still do CMT without question. He's located just underneath the old shop - ain't much, but he's still quite busy. Quality, if anything, has gone up a bit over the past few years. He's also willing to do more things stylistically that he wasn't when he was still with the other partner.
Excellent, Thank You Sir! I knew someone here would know

jsqfunk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
What is CMT?

it means that you supply the fabric for the suit, instead of buying it from the tailor

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
What is CMT?

CMT=Chief Master Tailor

Making a garment from your cloth is CTM. Cut, trim and make.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
CMT=Chief Master Tailor

Making a garment from your cloth is CTM. Cut, trim and make.

Thanks for the correction, sorry about the typo!

BeyondBespoke

Reaction score
In looking for a CUT, MAKE, AND TRIM (CMT) tailor, ask about their fit guarantee. If you are not satisfied, or a mistake is made, will the tailor reimburse you the cost of the fabric. CMT service in New York City ranges from $300 for a fused garment to well over $1000 for a hand-sewn full canvas garment. Look for a tailor that makes their garment in-house and does not our-source. Best of luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads