• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which MTM shirts do you wear?

johnannemarie

Reaction score
Hi guys
I want your thoughts on three different mtm companies. I've now received shirts from modern tailor, cottonworks and bawden bespoke. I used the same measurements for all 3 except having the left cuff bigger on the bawden for a watch. The best fit was in this order: bawden, CW then MT. To be honest the MT is almost unwearable it's so far out. I really like the bawden except I might opt for back darts next time.
Now quality of stitching and material etc between the three. The bawden is a clear winner, with a better feel and strength to the fabric. A little hard to compare as I didn't use the same material on all three. Second would be the MT then CW. For reference I used the best material available on all 3.
Overall the bawden was a standout for quality and fit, but their site doesn't have the customizations available like the other two, although after a few emails it seems that will change.
The bawdens are more money, so that has to be factored in also.
I'm happy to supply pics if anyone is interested.
What's your experiences?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who did your measurements? That's pretty much the key to any MTM purchase.

I use MyTailor.com/Hemrajani Brothers. Their traveling tailors measure people in person. They know the tollerances of the people who make the shirts and how to adjust things to get the fit pretty close to perfect the first time. Yet, small tweaks are still needed after the first order. I don't know if I'd use their measurements for some other MTM tailor. I'd let them measure me as well to make sure that they get it right for their program.

MyTailor also has very high end materials available, as well as standard cotton and blended shirtings. I go to the low end of the high end - Thomas Mason Silver and Monti, but they go much higher from there.

Fatman

Reaction score
I have a Bawden Bespoke shirt. I bought it before I knew what I wanted. I chose an ugly fabric, and when doing my measurements I was very generous, because I was deathly afraid of having too tight of a shirt. Then I selected 'relaxed' fit. What I have now is an ugly tarpaulin made of very nice cotton. But that is my fault.

After I ordered, I got an email from Marcus Bawden that said something along the lines of 'Your measurements seem off, when can I call you?', and he actually called me and talked a friend and I through the process for about half an hour.

For now I will use Modern Tailor because it's less than half the price, but the Bawden shirt is definitely nicer. If I want another I'll make an effort to go to his office and be measured, and select fabric from swatches.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Concord Custom and The Shirt Broker. Both local Denver MTM shirt shops. I tried mytailor.com but was not satisfied with the results.

Twotone

johnannemarie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
Who did your measurements? That's pretty much the key to any MTM purchase.

I use MyTailor.com/Hemrajani Brothers. Their traveling tailors measure people in person. They know the tollerances of the people who make the shirts and how to adjust things to get the fit pretty close to perfect the first time. Yet, small tweaks are still needed after the first order. I don't know if I'd use their measurements for some other MTM tailor. I'd let them measure me as well to make sure that they get it right for their program.

MyTailor also has very high end materials available, as well as standard cotton and blended shirtings. I go to the low end of the high end - Thomas Mason Silver and Monti, but they go much higher from there.

My wife did the measurements, then reconfirmed them with Marcus on the phone. Overall just a better experience

LanceW

Reaction score
I started with MyTailor and Thomas Mason's Silver line. Both were good enough to not venture further
smile.gif

With MyTailor, you can request they hand sew the shoulders (I think $30), use thicker buttons (I think $12) and do a split yoke (free).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads