• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which movie are you dying to see?

seanchai

Reaction score
MIAMI VICE

And the film about the Anglo-Irish War that won the Palme d'Or today at Cannes, "The Wind That Shakes The Barley". I hate Ken Loach's nationalist histories and can't wait for Cillian Murphy's eyes to make my skin crawl.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I also want to see Brick.

Also: Good Omens which Terry Gilliam wants to make, but I hear he can't get funding for it.

bob

If I recall correctly, it has been shelved. Pity. I love the book.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Oh... and I'd like to see The Proposition

Its a western written by Nick Cave!

I read about this in Entertainment Weekly (both the review and an article featuring Nick Cave). It sounds excellent.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I read about this in Entertainment Weekly (both the review and an article featuring Nick Cave). It sounds excellent.

Oh damn, I need to see this. My wife is also a big Nick Cave fan.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Oh damn, I need to see this. My wife is also a big Nick Cave fan.

P.s. did anyone else catch Nick Cave's cameo performance in Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin)...damn good film.

chrysalid

Reaction score
P.s. did anyone else catch Nick Cave's cameo performance in Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin)...damn good film.

is that wim wenders? watched paris, texas recently and enjoyed it a lot. brick is good, maybe a slightly higher mark for effort than execution, but well worth a watch.

i give much praise to 'in my fathers den' and 'the beat that my heart skipped', both are fantastic.

as for films yet to be released, 'a scanner darkly' was a great book and the linklater-o-vision looks interesting but i can't believe it's starring keanu 'dopeyfuckheadiwannasmashyourmoronicfaceinwithabrick' reeves - woe is me. 'the fountain' looks good as well, actually, from the teaser trailer 'the fountain' looks ****, but aronofsky=**** is an impossible equation surely?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrysalid
is that wim wenders? watched paris, texas recently and enjoyed it a lot. brick is good, maybe a slightly higher mark for effort than execution, but well worth a watch. i give much praise to 'in my fathers den' and 'the beat that my heart skipped', both are fantastic. as for films yet to be released, 'a scanner darkly' was a great book and the linklater-o-vision looks interesting but i can't believe it's starring keanu 'dopeyfuckheadiwannasmashyourmoronicfaceinwithabrick' reeves - woe is me. 'the fountain' looks good as well, actually, from the teaser trailer 'the fountain' looks ****, but aronofsky=**** is an impossible equation surely?
You are, of course, correct, Wim Wenders. I also liked Paris, Texas. I just love the sad melanchoily that permeates the whole film even if the setting is really "normal" - I need to have my wife watch that film. Brick? P.s. Avoid like the plague the remake of Wings of Desire, "City of Angels" starring Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan. That film is really insulting to the original.

chrysalid

Reaction score
You are, of course, correct, Wim Wenders. I also liked Paris, Texas. I just love the sad melanchoily that permeates the whole film even if the setting is really "normal" - I need to have my wife watch that film.
Brick?

P.s. Avoid like the plague the remake of Wings of Desire, "City of Angels" starring Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan. That film is really insulting to the original.

i'll have to watch wings of desire, i don't think i've seen any wenders apart from paris texas - i love films that know how to just shut up, you know waa'mean?

brick is hard boiled chandler noir superimposed onto cali high school (but much much better than that sounds!)

speaking of a permeating melancholy, have you seen 'night on earth' and 'mystery train' by jarmusch? stuck a couple of screen caps up on another thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...902#post187902

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrysalid
i'll have to watch wings of desire, i don't think i've seen any wenders apart from paris texas - i love films that know how to just shut up, you know waa'mean?

brick is hard boiled chandler noir superimposed onto cali high school (but much much better than that sounds!)

speaking of a permeating melancholy, have you seen 'night on earth' and 'mystery train' by jarmusch? stuck a couple of screen caps up on another thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...902#post187902

Ok, need to make a note then to see all three of those. Thanks!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Anybody seen him live or read his books?

Whio? Nick Cave? I think my wife just borrowed a book of his.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've seen Nick Cave live, he is really great. Been a big fan since his days with The Birthday Party.

A couple friends of mine saw an early screening of the Nick Cave western last month, havent asked them what they thought of it, but we did see a preview of it and it looked interesting.

Changing a letter, the new Nick CAGE film, Ghostrider, looked hella badical. Tons of CGI, which usually turns me off, but it looked sick as hell. That was one of my fave comics so I'm really looking forward to the movie.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clerks II...
blush.gif

And of course, SoaP.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Clerks II...
blush.gif
And of course, SoaP.

Clerks 2 got a standing ovation at Cannes. Which leads me to believe that: A: It was so long and tedious that everyone was glad that the damn thing was finally over. G: That it was good. I never really liked the first one, so my desire to see the second is pretty non-existant. But who knows, it might be great. And Snakes On A Plane will rule, even if it sucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads