Which movie are you dying to see?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by imageWIS, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Saw Black Dahlia with the Mrs. and two exchange students. Loved the look and feel, and the pacing and dynamics weren't too bad. Aaron Eckhart was fun to watch, Josh Hartnett wasn't so much fun, but as "Mr. Ice" I wasn't expecting him to play it up - so I felt he was in line with the character. More of a dull, plodding Continental Op-type character as opposed to Eckhart's Nick Charles.

The plot could have been trimmed 40% and made more sense. There were too many tangled webs to sort through. Too many people in the movie had a peripheral role. I could have used a scorecard and diagram and a second viewing to keep track of it all. Not enough closure, but then again this remains an unsolved mystery so maybe there is a point to be made there.

My opinion might change after seeing it again, but that's not at the top of the list this time around.

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

[​IMG]

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Oldboy is great. Lady Vengeance is even better!!

Cant wait til BORAT!!!

"throw the jew down the well...so my country can be free..!!"

Oldboy > All!!

4. Ramses

Ramses Senior member

This coming weekend, looking forward to Jackass 2 and American Hardcore

Jet Li's Final Movie opens this weekend and looks very good.

5. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Thomas, I decided not to bother with 'Dahlia.' I'm going to see All the King's Men, probably this Friday. This, even though the trailer doesn't look too hot. If anything, it's funny. I don't know how to explain . . . when Broderick Crawford played Willie Stark, I believed him. It seems to me that in 'the old days,' stars positioned themselves behind the movie. It was the film, that mattered. Newer releases look to me like vehicles to promote the stars, and never mind how the movie turns out.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Jet Li's Final Movie opens this weekend and looks very good.

I've seen it on dvd and I think you'l like it if you enjoy chinese 'period' films a la Hero, Crouching Tiger, Iron Monkey etc. I liked it the least of those I just mentioned, but it is still very good.

7. Flame

Flame Senior member

Jet Li's Fearless is pretty boring. The fight scenes might look fantastic on preview but in reality were quite short.

8. Ramses

Ramses Senior member

I've seen it on dvd and I think you'l like it if you enjoy chinese 'period' films a la Hero, Crouching Tiger, Iron Monkey etc. I liked it the least of those I just mentioned, but it is still very good.

I enjoyed Hero/House of Flying Daggers, Iron Monkey. I felt Fearless was good. The fight scene with the young man's father was the highlight.

Has everyone seen SPL: Sha Po Lang with Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen Great action fim! a must see, on par with OLDBOY quailty wise.
    [​IMG]

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

It seems to me that in 'the old days,' stars positioned themselves behind the movie. It was the film, that mattered. Newer releases look to me like vehicles to promote the stars, and never mind how the movie turns out.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. The power seems to have shifted from the studios to the directors, and now to the actors. I suppose that since they are in the public eye, and there is an industry devoted to reporting their every move, it would make sense that the actors would have all the stroke.

It would be nice to see a movie with Jennifer Aniston that wasn't just another Jennifer Aniston movie. Likewise with Kevin Costner, or any number of other Hollywood faces.

10. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I'd rather watch Ava Gardner. So, that's what I do . . .

[​IMG]

She was absolutely gorgeous.

11. sonick

sonick Senior member

I watched Half Nelson, starring Ryan Gosling sunday night. Very good. Soundtrack was even better.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I enjoyed Hero/House of Flying Daggers, Iron Monkey. I felt Fearless was good. The fight scene with the young man's father was the highlight.

Has everyone seen SPL: Sha Po Lang with Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen Great action fim! a must see, on par with OLDBOY quailty wise.
    [​IMG]

yeah. the final fight scene in sammo's club was particularly brutal. and the twist with the wife and baby was kinda disturbing, imo.

13. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

It would be nice to see a movie with Jennifer Aniston that wasn't just another Jennifer Aniston movie. Likewise with Kevin Costner, or any number of other Hollywood faces.

actually it's useful to have 'jennifer aniston movies' and 'kevin costner movies' because it makes it easier for me to know which ones to avoid. [​IMG]

14. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

The Good Girl.

I thought so anyway. Great film.

b

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

good call on SPL, that was surprisingly good. I can see that also being remade a la The Departed.

Speaking of Chinese remakes, I heard they might be doing a US version of "My Wife is a Gangster" which is a comedic drama and a movie I liked quite a bit.

A Korean remake they are releasing next year is based on "My Sassy Girl" which is the highest grossing Korean film. It's a really good comedy that has a lot of natural charm and sweetness to it. It will be interesting to see if the US version can capture that and if Elisha Cuthbert ([​IMG] ) can do the leading role justice.