Which movie are you dying to see?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by imageWIS, Mar 22, 2006.

1. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

MIAMI VICE

And the film about the Anglo-Irish War that won the Palme d'Or today at Cannes, "The Wind That Shakes The Barley". I hate Ken Loach's nationalist histories and can't wait for Cillian Murphy's eyes to make my skin crawl.

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I also want to see Brick.

Also: Good Omens which Terry Gilliam wants to make, but I hear he can't get funding for it.

bob

If I recall correctly, it has been shelved. Pity. I love the book.

3. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Oh... and I'd like to see The Proposition

Its a western written by Nick Cave!

I read about this in Entertainment Weekly (both the review and an article featuring Nick Cave). It sounds excellent.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I read about this in Entertainment Weekly (both the review and an article featuring Nick Cave). It sounds excellent.

Oh damn, I need to see this. My wife is also a big Nick Cave fan.

5. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Oh damn, I need to see this. My wife is also a big Nick Cave fan.

P.s. did anyone else catch Nick Cave's cameo performance in Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin)...damn good film.

6. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

P.s. did anyone else catch Nick Cave's cameo performance in Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin)...damn good film.

is that wim wenders? watched paris, texas recently and enjoyed it a lot. brick is good, maybe a slightly higher mark for effort than execution, but well worth a watch.

i give much praise to 'in my fathers den' and 'the beat that my heart skipped', both are fantastic.

as for films yet to be released, 'a scanner darkly' was a great book and the linklater-o-vision looks interesting but i can't believe it's starring keanu 'dopeyfuckheadiwannasmashyourmoronicfaceinwithabrick' reeves - woe is me. 'the fountain' looks good as well, actually, from the teaser trailer 'the fountain' looks shit, but aronofsky=shit is an impossible equation surely?

7. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

is that wim wenders? watched paris, texas recently and enjoyed it a lot. brick is good, maybe a slightly higher mark for effort than execution, but well worth a watch. i give much praise to 'in my fathers den' and 'the beat that my heart skipped', both are fantastic. as for films yet to be released, 'a scanner darkly' was a great book and the linklater-o-vision looks interesting but i can't believe it's starring keanu 'dopeyfuckheadiwannasmashyourmoronicfaceinwithabrick' reeves - woe is me. 'the fountain' looks good as well, actually, from the teaser trailer 'the fountain' looks shit, but aronofsky=shit is an impossible equation surely?
    You are, of course, correct, Wim Wenders. I also liked Paris, Texas. I just love the sad melanchoily that permeates the whole film even if the setting is really "normal" - I need to have my wife watch that film. Brick? P.s. Avoid like the plague the remake of Wings of Desire, "City of Angels" starring Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan. That film is really insulting to the original.

8. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

You are, of course, correct, Wim Wenders. I also liked Paris, Texas. I just love the sad melanchoily that permeates the whole film even if the setting is really "normal" - I need to have my wife watch that film.
    Brick?

P.s. Avoid like the plague the remake of Wings of Desire, "City of Angels" starring Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan. That film is really insulting to the original.

i'll have to watch wings of desire, i don't think i've seen any wenders apart from paris texas - i love films that know how to just shut up, you know waa'mean?

brick is hard boiled chandler noir superimposed onto cali high school (but much much better than that sounds!)

speaking of a permeating melancholy, have you seen 'night on earth' and 'mystery train' by jarmusch? stuck a couple of screen caps up on another thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...902#post187902

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

i'll have to watch wings of desire, i don't think i've seen any wenders apart from paris texas - i love films that know how to just shut up, you know waa'mean?

brick is hard boiled chandler noir superimposed onto cali high school (but much much better than that sounds!)

speaking of a permeating melancholy, have you seen 'night on earth' and 'mystery train' by jarmusch? stuck a couple of screen caps up on another thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...902#post187902

Ok, need to make a note then to see all three of those. Thanks!

10. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Anybody seen him live or read his books?

Whio? Nick Cave? I think my wife just borrowed a book of his.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I've seen Nick Cave live, he is really great. Been a big fan since his days with The Birthday Party.

A couple friends of mine saw an early screening of the Nick Cave western last month, havent asked them what they thought of it, but we did see a preview of it and it looked interesting.

Changing a letter, the new Nick CAGE film, Ghostrider, looked hella badical. Tons of CGI, which usually turns me off, but it looked sick as hell. That was one of my fave comics so I'm really looking forward to the movie.

13. sonick

sonick Senior member

Clerks II... [​IMG]

And of course, SoaP.

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Clerks II... [​IMG] And of course, SoaP.
    Clerks 2 got a standing ovation at Cannes. Which leads me to believe that: A: It was so long and tedious that everyone was glad that the damn thing was finally over. G: That it was good. I never really liked the first one, so my desire to see the second is pretty non-existant. But who knows, it might be great. And Snakes On A Plane will rule, even if it sucks.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member