• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Minimalist Watches Catches Your Eye the Most?

GQBaller

Reaction score
I'm considering buying one of these watches. Help me decide. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, which watch do you like the most? (Obviously, the Stowa is technically superior, as it has a mechanical movement). From left to right: Mondaine Swiss Railway, Nixon Time Teller, Stowa Antea

ChriO

Reaction score
Stowa. - I admit that I was into dark watch faces as well when I was younger. Currently my favourite Stowa is this one, with a brown strap:
1139139706-23535.jpg

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQBaller
I'm considering buying each of these watches. Help me decide.

Each or one?

Anyway, Looks alone Nixon, Stowa, Mondaine.

If movement is taken into account Stowa and Nixon trade places.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw the nixon in GQ and thought it looked great. Not so impressed with it looking at it here. I picked it anyway because I like the face compared to the stowa. PLus you are tlaking $80 versus ~$400 for the stowa.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1, 3, 2.

mink31

Reaction score
IMO, the Stowa really is of a different, more dressy, style than the other two. From a casual context, I'd pick the Mondaine--although the small seconds seems out of place (is that a new model?). Dress use: Stowa, hands-down.

jcc123

Reaction score
In a watch, I require 4 things:

1.\tIt must have a seconds hand so I can easily see that it’s still running.
2.\tIt must have a date display because many times I don’t remember what date I’m in. I’m sure most people are like this since I get asked, “what date is this?”, a lot.
3.\tIt must have an easy to read display so that I can tell the time with a quick glance.
4.\tIf it’s a mechanical watch it must be an automatic and not manual. Ideally, the automatic should have a power level indicator but I’ve not been able to find one that I like and comes with 1 + 2 + 3.

That means that most cronos etc, are excluded from my wrist. They usually meet the first two requirements but not the last two. Plus, the more complicated, the more expensive to service. Thus you’re paying for things you’re unlikely to use anyway.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
From the 3, Stowa. The 1st one is not minimalist at all, imo and the 2nd one would only be better if the brand name is removed, and the bracelet be replaced with a strap.

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
I would also pick the stowa. And for a similar aestetics you could also try Nomos, http://www.glashutte.com/en/index.html They have an in-house movment and a little better finish IMO, but a little steeper pricetag aswell. The model tangomat also meet all of jcc123's criteria.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stowa.

Hany

Reaction score
IMO they are not all that minimalistic and I wouldn't like to wear any of them.

I would take a look at the Alessi Record watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads