1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which martial art is most effective for self defense?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by yachtie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

Here is prime example where a guy trys out some Capoeira moves, but come up against a guy who knows how to punch.

Worth a watch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

SHOW BOAT FIGHTER

2. Matt

Matt Senior member

haha, that's great.

3. Big A

Big A Senior member

As a boxer, I'm going to vote for boxing, but not because you learn to throw a punch - rather, because you learn to get hit. If you haven't really been clocked a few times in your life it will be quite an eye-opening experience when it does happen, and it will happen. You don't want that to be when you are in a street fight. A street fight is usually won by the first guy to land a solid shot, but you can change those odds by boxing (or taking up anything where you actually spar and get hit occasionally).

Also, in boxing you learn to "slip" punches - i.e., you still get hit, but you slip off and absorb less of the force of a punch. The puncher sometimes thinks he hit you, so they tend to be surprised when you come right back with a solid shot.

Learn to get hit, and you'll win just about any fight you are in against people who don't have the same experience.

4. West24

West24 Senior member

nice! maybe being a human punching bag will pay off! i told you mama. i told you!

5. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Here is prime example where a guy trys out some Capoeira moves, but come up against a guy who knows how to punch. Worth a watch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] SHOW BOAT FIGHTER
    I love it!!! Was that real life or ome kind of movie?

6. adelphi

adelphi Senior member

As a boxer, I'm going to vote for boxing, but not because you learn to throw a punch - rather, because you learn to get hit..
    That pretty much goes for all reality based martial art... And that clip's from a movie, so it was rigged.

7. BuffaloBoyBlue

BuffaloBoyBlue Member

Interesting thread. I know I am the new guy and it's been done, but any martial art with sparring is fine. In general the people you would have to fight are untrained brawlers, and the combination of being in shape and knowing the mechanics behind a fight should be good enough to get you out of that situation. Sure sometimes you will come up against the BJJ purple belt, but then your screwed and should probably ask your self what you are doing picking fights with guys like that.

The only other times besides thugs going for your wallet that you should worry about are a) the college kid crowd drunk off 'schlager and who watch way to much 'The Ultimate Fighter' and b) someone who breaks into your home.

In situation a, one of your best friends is the fact he is inebriated. His balance is probably shot, though his pain tolerance might be through the roof. get him off balance and put him down, avoiding his sloppy take down attempts and haymakers. Just leave and remind yourself to find a new bar.

In situation b, shoot him/them. *shrug* At least in America it is an option still... well most parts.

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Here is prime example where a guy trys out some Capoeira moves, but come up against a guy who knows how to punch.

Worth a watch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

SHOW BOAT FIGHTER

At least he followed the cardinal rule of martial arts.....

NEVER BACK DOWN!!!!!!!!

9. spamloos

spamloos New Member

Did you "avoid the altercation" guys see the Karate Kid? Danielson tried like MFing Gandhi to avoid conflict, but in the end he HAD to through down. Sometimes you just have to fight!

So true! Other examples and dare I say life lessons, are ofcourse given in Marty's altercations with Biff, Griff and Buford 'Mad Dog' Tannen. Succes is your reward.

10. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

I love it!!! Was that real life or ome kind of movie?

I have no clue if it is real, someone emailed it to me the other day, and I thought of this thread.

My guess is it is real.

11. Matt

Matt Senior member

seems like the consensus above is that it is a clip from Never Back Down. I watched about half of it and fell asleep, so not sure.

12. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

I have no clue if it is real, someone emailed it to me the other day, and I thought of this thread.

My guess is it is real.

As someone mentioned it is from Never Back Down.

13. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

I have no clue if it is real, someone emailed it to me the other day, and I thought of this thread. My guess is it is real.
    In any event, it certainly looked good!

14. englanderjk

englanderjk Senior member

As a boxer, I'm going to vote for boxing, but not because you learn to throw a punch - rather, because you learn to get hit. If you haven't really been clocked a few times in your life it will be quite an eye-opening experience when it does happen, and it will happen. You don't want that to be when you are in a street fight. A street fight is usually won by the first guy to land a solid shot, but you can change those odds by boxing (or taking up anything where you actually spar and get hit occasionally).

Also, in boxing you learn to "slip" punches - i.e., you still get hit, but you slip off and absorb less of the force of a punch. The puncher sometimes thinks he hit you, so they tend to be surprised when you come right back with a solid shot.

Learn to get hit, and you'll win just about any fight you are in against people who don't have the same experience.

Often question the veracity and authority behind many posts, especially those related to topic such as this, but you're advice about being able to take a punch is sound.

Being able to absorb blows and endure punishment is as significant as offensive maneuvering. There are other contact sports such as judo and wrestling (especially greco-roman style) that also result in violent impacts and collisions.

"Learn to get hit",... and like it to a certain extent, if you're contact sport competitive or preparing for combat.

Speed.

15. West24

West24 Senior member

i dont think you need to like getting hit. i personally hate getting hit. im a heavyweight and too many punches hurt! and i dont like hurty things! the worst are upper cuts to the ball of the nose! ahhhh it stings it stings!

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

i dont think you need to like getting hit. i personally hate getting hit. im a heavyweight and too many punches hurt! and i dont like hurty things! the worst are upper cuts to the ball of the nose! ahhhh it stings it stings!
    *mental note* (I have a pretty good uppercut)

17. RatherAnOddball

RatherAnOddball Senior member

I will ask the sweet little old Philipino lady at the Asian market, after she makes me a halo-halo, whether she can teach me this vicious combat technique. If that doesn't pan out, then I'm stumped where to go next.

18. jc138

jc138 Senior member

Really. For me the worst was always the shots just below and behind the ear.

19. West24

West24 Senior member

[​IMG] i almost never get hit there. i dont think you should be getting hit there that often...

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

For me, knees, either up the middle or to the liver. You know it hurts when you vision goes black momentarily and you were not hit anywhere close to the head.