• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which looks better?

Reaction score
So tomorrow I have an event where I have to present a project at a museum. I went last year, and there were people dressed in everything from suits to pools jeans and tennis shoes. I'm determined to look my best to put myself over the top, so I wanted opinions on which of the following looks better. ( sorry for the quality of the pics)

[/IMG]

I think I am going to go with the full suit, but the only problem is the single vent, I do have a fairly large backside and the vent does open a bit. If I don't button you can't really tell, but what would you recommend?

Thanks,
-Will C.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a single vent. A flaring vent has nothing to do with a "large backside" and everything to do with a jacket that doesn't fit correctly. Beyond that, if the rest of the jacket fits alright, then wear the full suit.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie without jacket, especially on a guy our age, is a no-go. You'll look like you're trying too hard, and you won't appear as confident as you will in the jacket.

Vent issues... they don't drive me crazy. If your suit fits perfectly except for the vent, you might end up with the best-fitting suit in the room. If your suit fits okay, with some vent problems and one or two little issues, then you'll still be fine. Nobody expects us to have perfectly fitting clothes.

Last edited:

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
Go with the unbuttoned suit. No need to button it up. More people will take notice of your presentation skills rather than the small details you've mentioned.

AdamWill

Reaction score
Wear the jacket. +1 yrr92: tie with no jacket is a bad look.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Who and what is your audience?

Have you visited the museum before and noticed what everyone is wearing?

If you are making a presentation, are you selling yourself or anything connected to what is being presented? If so, then dress up one notch above your audience.

Your apparel may be different in Montana than in New York City.

(In my opinion, I suggest not going with just the shirt, as it reminds me of a used car salesman. The suit, for me, would be much better in a professional presentation - unless you were going to a low end Montana museum )

All my best,

David

Last edited:
Reaction score
The event is at the national WWII museum in New Orleans. I am actually a student who was chosen to compete with against other students with historical documentaries. My audience is mainly just the judges, but I want to look better than the other competitions so I stand out more in the judging

David Copeland

Reaction score
The event is at the national WWII museum in New Orleans. I am actually a student who was chosen to compete with against other students with historical documentaries. My audience is mainly just the judges, but I want to look better than the other competitions so I stand out more in the judging

Then it is similar to interviewing for a job - whereby the principle is to dress for the job you want to obtain, and not to dress for who you are at present.

Your credibility is being presented along with the facts of your presentation. And how you look will play a part in how the judges will vote (Style and Substance).

Your audience knows people, and if you aspire to get hired in the dream job you want - even as an intern - then dress the part.

Board Members may also be present. Here is a link to the Board of Trustee's page of the museum (including pictures of how they dress):

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/about-the-museum/board-of-trustees.html

David

Last edited:

mhdena

Reaction score
Go with the suit, and after the event have the vent closed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads