Which looks better?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Will Carothers, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Will Carothers

Will Carothers Member

So tomorrow I have an event where I have to present a project at a museum. I went last year, and there were people dressed in everything from suits to pools jeans and tennis shoes. I'm determined to look my best to put myself over the top, so I wanted opinions on which of the following looks better. ( sorry for the quality of the pics)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I think I am going to go with the full suit, but the only problem is the single vent, I do have a fairly large backside and the vent does open a bit. If I don't button you can't really tell, but what would you recommend?

Thanks,
    -Will C.

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

There's nothing wrong with a single vent. A flaring vent has nothing to do with a "large backside" and everything to do with a jacket that doesn't fit correctly. Beyond that, if the rest of the jacket fits alright, then wear the full suit.

3. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Tie without jacket, especially on a guy our age, is a no-go. You'll look like you're trying too hard, and you won't appear as confident as you will in the jacket.

Vent issues... they don't drive me crazy. If your suit fits perfectly except for the vent, you might end up with the best-fitting suit in the room. If your suit fits okay, with some vent problems and one or two little issues, then you'll still be fine. Nobody expects us to have perfectly fitting clothes.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

4. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

Go with the unbuttoned suit. No need to button it up. More people will take notice of your presentation skills rather than the small details you've mentioned.

5. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

Wear the jacket. +1 yrr92: tie with no jacket is a bad look.

6. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Who and what is your audience?

Have you visited the museum before and noticed what everyone is wearing?

If you are making a presentation, are you selling yourself or anything connected to what is being presented? If so, then dress up one notch above your audience.

Your apparel may be different in Montana than in New York City.

(In my opinion, I suggest not going with just the shirt, as it reminds me of a used car salesman. The suit, for me, would be much better in a professional presentation - unless you were going to a low end Montana museum )

All my best,

David

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

7. Will Carothers

Will Carothers Member

The event is at the national WWII museum in New Orleans. I am actually a student who was chosen to compete with against other students with historical documentaries. My audience is mainly just the judges, but I want to look better than the other competitions so I stand out more in the judging

8. RashidD

RashidD Member

Definitely go with the suit.

9. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Then it is similar to interviewing for a job - whereby the principle is to dress for the job you want to obtain, and not to dress for who you are at present.

Your credibility is being presented along with the facts of your presentation. And how you look will play a part in how the judges will vote (Style and Substance).

Your audience knows people, and if you aspire to get hired in the dream job you want - even as an intern - then dress the part.

Board Members may also be present. Here is a link to the Board of Trustee's page of the museum (including pictures of how they dress):

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/about-the-museum/board-of-trustees.html

David

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

10. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

Go with the suit, and after the event have the vent closed.