• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which look is your favorite?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
No, not at all. I like theater, so I share your taste for a little drama. (No one will accuse me of undue restraint.) But I look at No. 5 and the bright, warm colors of the shirt strike me as odds with the wintry gray flannel. I love a good pink tie, but the bright shirt is, IMO, gilding the lily. Neither the tie nor the shirt really gets to shine. I'd like that pairing better if the shirt had a cooler palate -- fine blue/white stripe, maybe. Or the shirt from No. 4 would look great with it.

This is something I've struggled with, as I've sometimes found pink and even gray and blue require more nuance than I might have expected.

I see what you mean. Part, actually most of these looks are me experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. I haven't been "around" long enough to know "my look" but I think I'm getting there. The pink tie/loud shirt combination is a good example of this. I was going for the "Italian" flair, but it may have come off as too much. I will definitely try that shirt with a knit navy tie. The pink tie will be put on with another shirt I like with the same jacket. Stay tuned. Thank you for the feedback - it's very helpful for me.

Originally Posted by emmanuel
Does it have to be with a jacket? It is important that the layers you choose to go with that tie are light because I see the tie as being spring/summer only. Im thinking white shirt/purple merino wool cardigan/white jeans/dark brown belt and drivers (would be great if both were gator but not neccesary this is just what I invision)
Its youthful, fun, casual, sharp, its even somewhat flashy without being an ass hole. You have to be able to pull it off though. Theres a lot of attitude in that outfit but your tie has a lot of attitude. What I picture comes off as very ralph lauren. Try to use this picture and imagine it with the clothes I suggested:
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

Ah, I see what you mean here. Yes, I like a lot of what you are describing. It certainly does not have to be only with a coat, but I do not own a cardigan like the one you describe. If one were to buy one cardigan color, which would it be?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
If one were to buy one cardigan color, which would it be?

Just in general, not for that outfit? Grey

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Medium

Thanks; I figured.

Adding that to the list of things I need.
smile.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a none of the above? I picked 4 and 6, htey were the leats loud and ill matching of the group. I can't stand 5, that shirt was just not made to wear a tie with too many colors to make an honest match.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics