• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Lauren label is this?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gefinzi
Can anyone comment on which Lauren label is seen in this auction and where it falls on the spectrum between Chaps, Blue Label, and Purple Label?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-2495-Polo-Ra...QQcmdZViewItem

i think it's a lauren or ralph lauren. it's around chaps. if so, it's nowhere near blue or purple label.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't this Blue Label?

If so, pretty good: Below purple and black, above polo.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
afaik, blue label usually refers to polo.

I don't think there is anything above polo (akak, blue label) and below purple label and black label. And black label is supposedly on the same level as blue label, just with a different fit/profile.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
afaik, blue label usually refers to polo.

I don't think there is anything above polo (akak, blue label) and below purple label and black label. And black label is supposedly on the same level as blue label, just with a different fit/profile.

IMO the information in this auction is inconsistent or incomplete. The supposed retail price is in line with Polo "blue label" merchandise, but the label doesn't look right. The line we know as "blue label" has a blue fabric label on the sleeve that says explicitly "Polo Ralph Lauren". The Lauren line uses green labels, but IIRC the Chaps line uses blue labels. I suggest you email the seller and ask directly whether this is Polo, Lauren, Chaps, or some other RL line and also ask for pictures of all labels (The Lauren and Chaps lines are significantly lower quality than blue label. I would not pay his asking price for either Lauren or Chaps, but I've also never seen a jacket from either of these lines made of cashmere).

FWIW, blue label jackets have only the lapels fused; the chest canvas is sewn. Black label jackets are entirely fused, despite their higher price. Black label was developed to offer a slimmer fit at a price point between Blue Label and Purple Label.

Earthmover

Reaction score
That's not Lauren. And it's not Blue Label. I saw these at the Polo Mansion last winter, and they had a price point slightly above the Blue Label, and well below the Purples. This was completely a conjecture, but based on the price point and the label ("RALPH LAUREN" on lighter blue background), I assumed those suits were made by Cantarelli, sort of like the Black Labels. I remember checking to see if it is canvassed, but I can't actually remember whether it was or not.

That label is definitely not Lauren, however.

Duveen

Reaction score
Like Earthmover, I have seen these suits @ the DC 'Mansion lite' in Chevy Chase. They are usu about $300-500 more than blue label (saw one @ ~$2k full retail). Never got a satisfactory answer as to what the label means, but it does look a whole lot like legitimate stuff I've seen in the stores, so I don't think it is fake...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's really odd is that the lettering is just like the lettering found on Black Label garments...but the damn label is blue. This is very perplexing. I own one "˜Collection' piece, but at least I know that it's a Blue Label (Polo) Collection piece (cashmere sweater), just like I know all my Purple Label items are Purple Label, but I really have no clue what this is.

Jon.

gefinzi

Reaction score
I was talking to a Polo salesman by phone during their recent sale (I was in Cincinnati, he was in New York) and he asked me if I knew about the Polo
&$%^#* line. I can't remember just what he called it..."signature series," or perhaps "collection." He indicated it fell between Blue Label and Purple Label. I don't recall if the difference was supposed to be in the fabric or the construction. Like you guys, I'm wondering if this is an example.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gefinzi
I was talking to a Polo salesman by phone during their recent sale (I was in Cincinnati, he was in New York) and he asked me if I knew about the Polo
&$%^#* line. I can't remember just what he called it..."signature series," or perhaps "collection." He indicated it fell between Blue Label and Purple Label. I don't recall if the difference was supposed to be in the fabric or the construction. Like you guys, I'm wondering if this is an example.

Well the line that falls in-between Blue and Purple is Black. As far as I know (and they could have changed this) every variation thereof from the "˜known' brands are just versions of the Blue Label brand, i.e. Collection.

Jon.

gefinzi

Reaction score
He definitely wasn't talking about Black label; I think rather a variation on Blue Label with a slightly higher price point.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Well the line that falls in-between Blue and Purple is Black. As far as I know (and they could have changed this) every variation thereof from the "˜known' brands are just versions of the Blue Label brand, i.e. Collection.

Jon.

This is my understanding also: in terms of pricing, Black Label falls between Blue and Purple.

I've never seen a label like the one pictured, though. Let me repeat, before bidding I would ask for pictures of all labels, including the fabric label inside the right breast pocket and the little tag inside the collar ("Made in Italy"?).

ranchsooner

Reaction score
I believe I looked at a label like this during Christmas, and it was a fully canvassed jacket. It is only carried in a handful of stores accross the country.

Duveen

Reaction score
Never a bad idea to ask for pics (per Thinman's sugg), but I can say that I've seen this label at Polo stores in DC and SF. I am pretty sure that it is legit, though I am not positive that it is fully canvassed (no recollection).

Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads