1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which Lauren label is this?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gefinzi, Jun 26, 2006.

1. gefinzi

gefinzi Senior member

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Can anyone comment on which Lauren label is seen in this auction and where it falls on the spectrum between Chaps, Blue Label, and Purple Label?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-2495-Polo-Ra...QQcmdZViewItem

i think it's a lauren or ralph lauren. it's around chaps. if so, it's nowhere near blue or purple label.

3. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Isn't this Blue Label?

If so, pretty good: Below purple and black, above polo.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

afaik, blue label usually refers to polo.

I don't think there is anything above polo (akak, blue label) and below purple label and black label. And black label is supposedly on the same level as blue label, just with a different fit/profile.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

afaik, blue label usually refers to polo.

I don't think there is anything above polo (akak, blue label) and below purple label and black label. And black label is supposedly on the same level as blue label, just with a different fit/profile.

IMO the information in this auction is inconsistent or incomplete. The supposed retail price is in line with Polo "blue label" merchandise, but the label doesn't look right. The line we know as "blue label" has a blue fabric label on the sleeve that says explicitly "Polo Ralph Lauren". The Lauren line uses green labels, but IIRC the Chaps line uses blue labels. I suggest you email the seller and ask directly whether this is Polo, Lauren, Chaps, or some other RL line and also ask for pictures of all labels (The Lauren and Chaps lines are significantly lower quality than blue label. I would not pay his asking price for either Lauren or Chaps, but I've also never seen a jacket from either of these lines made of cashmere).

FWIW, blue label jackets have only the lapels fused; the chest canvas is sewn. Black label jackets are entirely fused, despite their higher price. Black label was developed to offer a slimmer fit at a price point between Blue Label and Purple Label.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Nor have I seen a Lauren jacket made in Italy.

7. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

That's not Lauren. And it's not Blue Label. I saw these at the Polo Mansion last winter, and they had a price point slightly above the Blue Label, and well below the Purples. This was completely a conjecture, but based on the price point and the label ("RALPH LAUREN" on lighter blue background), I assumed those suits were made by Cantarelli, sort of like the Black Labels. I remember checking to see if it is canvassed, but I can't actually remember whether it was or not.

That label is definitely not Lauren, however.

8. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Like Earthmover, I have seen these suits @ the DC 'Mansion lite' in Chevy Chase. They are usu about $300-500 more than blue label (saw one @ ~$2k full retail). Never got a satisfactory answer as to what the label means, but it does look a whole lot like legitimate stuff I've seen in the stores, so I don't think it is fake...

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What's really odd is that the lettering is just like the lettering found on Black Label garments...but the damn label is blue. This is very perplexing. I own one "˜Collection' piece, but at least I know that it's a Blue Label (Polo) Collection piece (cashmere sweater), just like I know all my Purple Label items are Purple Label, but I really have no clue what this is.

Jon.

10. gefinzi

gefinzi Senior member

I was talking to a Polo salesman by phone during their recent sale (I was in Cincinnati, he was in New York) and he asked me if I knew about the Polo
    &$%^#* line. I can't remember just what he called it..."signature series," or perhaps "collection." He indicated it fell between Blue Label and Purple Label. I don't recall if the difference was supposed to be in the fabric or the construction. Like you guys, I'm wondering if this is an example.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I was talking to a Polo salesman by phone during their recent sale (I was in Cincinnati, he was in New York) and he asked me if I knew about the Polo
    &$%^#* line. I can't remember just what he called it..."signature series," or perhaps "collection." He indicated it fell between Blue Label and Purple Label. I don't recall if the difference was supposed to be in the fabric or the construction. Like you guys, I'm wondering if this is an example.

Well the line that falls in-between Blue and Purple is Black. As far as I know (and they could have changed this) every variation thereof from the "˜known' brands are just versions of the Blue Label brand, i.e. Collection.

Jon.

12. gefinzi

gefinzi Senior member

He definitely wasn't talking about Black label; I think rather a variation on Blue Label with a slightly higher price point.

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

Well the line that falls in-between Blue and Purple is Black. As far as I know (and they could have changed this) every variation thereof from the "˜known' brands are just versions of the Blue Label brand, i.e. Collection.

Jon.

This is my understanding also: in terms of pricing, Black Label falls between Blue and Purple.

I've never seen a label like the one pictured, though. Let me repeat, before bidding I would ask for pictures of all labels, including the fabric label inside the right breast pocket and the little tag inside the collar ("Made in Italy"?).

14. ranchsooner

ranchsooner Senior member

I believe I looked at a label like this during Christmas, and it was a fully canvassed jacket. It is only carried in a handful of stores accross the country.

15. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Never a bad idea to ask for pics (per Thinman's sugg), but I can say that I've seen this label at Polo stores in DC and SF. I am pretty sure that it is legit, though I am not positive that it is fully canvassed (no recollection).

Good luck!

16. A Harris

A Harris Senior member

I've never seen this label in person, but from the pics that does indeed look to be a canvassed Cantarelli coat.

17. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

I asked this same question in the Chicago mansion and he said it was the same quality as Blue Label. It is NOT the cheaper outlet line.

If it was me I would stick with this, blue or purple. Black is not that good in the suits I have seen.

18. gefinzi

gefinzi Senior member

19. ranchsooner

ranchsooner Senior member

Just to follow up, I picked up this label in a 3 piece flannel chalkstripe @ the outlet today for $140 . It originally sold for $2,000 and it IS fully canvassed with unfinished sleeves. The inside tag is identical to a Corneliani/Blue label.

20. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

The outlet by you must be great because the one by me only has crap, very rarely purple label.